Posted On: November 8, 2018
Media Organization: New York City Department of Corrections DOC
The New York City Department of Correction (DOC) provides for the care, custody, and control of persons accused of crimes or convicted and sentenced to one year or less of jail time. The Department manages 11 inmate facilities, 8 of which are located on Rikers Island. In addition, the Department operates two hospital Prison Wards (Bellevue and Elmhurst hospitals) and court holding facilities in each borough.
The DOC seeks to recruit a Communications Specialist for the Public Information Unit. The selected candidate will work closely with senior executives, the internal communications specialist will help establish organizational messages and keep staff informed of developments. The Communications Specialist ‘s responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
• Develop formal and informal communications, using a variety of channels and tools.
• Work with stakeholders to assess communication needs, determine timing and delivery, and tailor messages for specific audiences.
• Help prepare newsletters, proposals, presentations, training, and a wide range of internal communication materials.
• Be able to juggle and prioritize multiple projects at once.
• Help establish a short-term and long-term communications strategy in conjunction with senior managers.
• Ensure the internal communication strategy is consistent with and reflects the organization’s strategic vision.
• Ensure department initiatives and projects are successfully communicated to employees and stakeholders.
• Plan, edit and write content for a variety of internal communications mediums, such as a staff intranet, monthly magazine or regular email bulletin. You may also be require to work on the layout of content.
• Draft messages or talking points for senior executives.
1. Three years of full-time satisfactory experience in the operation of two-way radio equipment, at least one of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; or
2. Three years of full-time satisfactory experience of phone/operator/dispatcher work involving logging or relaying of voice transmission and/or messages, at least one year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; or
3. Three years of full-time satisfactory experience in highway traffic operations, highway safety operations, highway communications or a related field, at least one year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity.
A Motor Vehicle Operator's License may be required in some agencies.
To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II, individuals must also have at least one year of experience in Assignment Level I.
• Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college with 24 credits in English, journalism or public relations, plus three (3) years of full-time paid experience in public relations, journalism or advertising, or a combination of education and/or experience which is equivalent. Graduate study in English, journalism, or public relations may be substituted for up to one year of required experience
• 3 -5 years’ experience in external/internal writing business communications
• Ability to problem solve and appropriately customize messages in a professional writing manner
• Good interpersonal and relationship-building skills in order to work with communications.
• Creative ability to devise communication strategies digital skills: familiarity with information technology, especially digital and video means of communication, is essential.
• Two (2) years of administrative, supervisory, or consultative experience in public relations, journalism or advertising.Additional Information
Candidates for interview will be required to provide a writing sample.
To apply go to www.nyc.gov/careers and search for the JOB ID
You can also click on https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/index_new.html?agency=072 to see all current openings.