Posted On: July 1, 2019
Media Organization: UNHCR Washington
Since 1950, UNHCR, the UN refugee agency, has helped tens of millions of people restart their lives. Today, a staff of more than 10,000 people in 130 countries continues to help and protect millions of refugees, returnees, internally displaced and stateless people. UNHCR provides lifesaving assistance, protection, shelter, food, clean water, education and medical care to some of the world’s most vulnerable. UNHCR also provides assistance to refugees who want to return home when it is safe to do so, and helps integrate refugees within their local host country or resettle to a third country when returning home is no longer an option. Non-governmental organization (NGO) partners work with UNHCR around the globe to assist and protect refugees and internally displaced people.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the production of information materials for public awareness campaigns, including fact sheets,
presentations, and other materials
- Work with other units within the office to meet their needs regarding design and production of publications and
- Support video production and the development of other multimedia materials
- Support the design and creation of social media assets
- Conduct media monitoring to compile and distribute regular news clippings
- Support the design and procurement of visibility materials from external vendors
- Assist with updates as needed to the US website
- Assist with photography and photo editing
- Design, maintain and support the use of existing and new photo exhibits
- Support outreach efforts to build a diverse coalition of refugee champions across the U.S.
- Help manage external relationships, organize campaigns, and coordinate multilayered strategies
- Perform other duties as required
Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, International Affairs, Communications or a related subject
2-3 years of experience preferred
- Strong skills with multimedia production software, especially Adobe Creative Suite with a focus on Adobe
InDesign, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop and/or Lightroom
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office programs, especially PowerPoint
- Graphic design and publication design skills
- Video production and video editing skills, as well as photography and photo editing skills
- Experience with website maintenance through a CMS and familiarity with HTML and CSS
- Keen awareness of U.S. politics and the current political climate, as well as familiarity with U.S. audiences
- Knowledge of humanitarian issues and demonstrated interest in the work of UNHCR
- Strong written communications skills
• Applicants must have legal residence with valid work permit in the US.
Application deadline: 9 July 2019 by close of business, 5 p.m. (Washington DC time).
Receipt of application will not be acknowledged and only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Interested candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to submit
1) UNHCR Personnel History Form
available: www.unhcr.org/recruit/unhcr-phf.docm if needed extra space, please also use Supplementary Sheet
available: www.unhcr.org/recruit/unhcr-phf-sup.docm along with
2) a letter of motivation by e-mail to
email@example.com quoting “Snr. Communication/ PI Assistant – UNOPS” in the subject line of the email.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any
other fees). UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure
that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving
workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
All applications will be treated with the strictest
Late or incomplete application will not be accepted.
Please no phone calls.