Posted On: September 23, 2019
Media Organization: THE CITY
The new, digital, nonprofit, local news platform dedicated to hard-hitting reporting that serves the people of New York City.
POSITION DESCRIPTION COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING DIRECTOR
THE CITY, the new, NYC-focused, nonprofit digital news platform, is building its team (https://thecity.nyc). The NYC local news landscape has been decimated in recent years by the losses of DNAinfo and The Village Voice, draconian cutbacks at the Daily News and a general shrinkage of staff covering city and neighborhood issues.
THE CITY has gathered some of journalism’s most dynamic leaders and sponsors from across the country to address this critical issue. As a critical member of THE CITY’s 22-person team, you'll work in a vibrant newsroom filled with extraordinary journalists dedicated to real reporting of the real news that matters most to the people of New York City (https://thecity.nyc/about/team.html).
THE CITY's dedicated site launched on April 3, and we're already seeing the impact of THE CITY's engaging, consistent, persistent reporting as measured by activity on our site, newsletter, social media feeds and through the financial support we're receiving from both the philanthropic community and individual members that together have provided nearly $10 million in early funding
THE CITY is seeking a hard-charging Communications & Marketing Director to bolster our mission of driving conversation, coverage and action.
The Communications & Marketing Director will report jointly to the Editor in Chief and Publisher, and will work in conjunction with all staff to promote THE CITY and its work — expanding its growing reach and reputation as the go-to local news source for New York.
● Expanding awareness and readership of THE CITY and its work throughout New York City through brand development and marketing
● Getting THE CITY’s work extensively picked up by other media — everything from links in email newsletters to fostering free republication of our stories in other outlets.
● Seeking and coordinating media appearances by our staff to talk about stories and/or our innovative operation.
● Forging tight and extensive partnerships with other media outlets — everything from media appearances by our team to republication to collaborative reporting projects across multiple platforms (screen, audio, video, live)
● Keeping careful and constant records of our successes and impacts to add to our metrics system.
● Distributing news of our progress and achievements to all of our stakeholders (funders, members, readers, peers, general public) via optimal distribution channels (newsletter, email, text, etc.)
● Helping shape our newsletter strategy and working closely with our team as we examine opportunities to create additional news products.
● Seeking all possible opportunities to put our work up for awards — drafting, submitting and tracking applications.
● Seeking and coordinating opportunities to get THE CITY team on panels on everything from urban affairs to journalism industry events.
● Working with the team, especially the engagement director, on producing CITY-sponsored community events of various types and sizes throughout the boroughs.
● Brim with energy, ideas and relevant experience
● Proactive in idea generation and execution
● Embraces responsibility and delivers results
● Work well with others in a fast-moving, deadline-driven newsroom filled with people
passionate about the power and importance of local news.
● Stand out as an excellent all-around communicator whose clear and concise writing
reflects THE CITY’s editorial tone
● Live and breathe digital media
● Arrive with extensive contacts in the news media and related fields — and a proven
history of being able to creatively leverage them.
● Find innovative solutions to challenges
● Set ambitious goals and meets them
● Thrive on keeping records and can squeeze insight from numbers
● Won’t rest until the job is done (spoiler alert: The job is never done).
● Minimum undergraduate degree from four-year college/university
● Minimum three years relevant work experience
● Proficiency with:
○ Word processing software (Microsoft Word, Google Docs)
○ Spreadsheet software (Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets)
○ Presentation software (Microsoft PowerPoint, Google Slides)
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, mission-driven organization. Compensation is competitive and includes health, dental, vision and vacation benefits.
THE CITY is committed to diversity (https://thecity.nyc/about/diversity-2019) and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com