Posted On: November 18, 2019
Media Organization: TheGrio
An American website with news, opinion, entertainment and video content geared towards a progressive, African American millennial audience.
TheGrio is looking for an innovative, talented, part-time digital editor who has experience with digital media editing and producing original and aggregated content and a deep and demonstrated passion for African American culture. Candidates should have a whip-smart news judgement as you will be responsible for leading the weekend team on either Saturday or Sunday (rotating schedule) and dictating what stories are produced each day.
This position requires the editor to work from their own home office on weekends, but interact and collaborate with various Grio staffers during the weekend.
The position offers a competitive rate paid per story.
· Lead a weekend writer covering five news stories over three hours on either Saturday and/or Sunday.
· Saturday hours are from noon to 3:00PM ET and Sunday hours are from 3:00PM to 6:00PM ET/
· Edit and produce five news, culture, celebrity, and/or entertainment related news posts each weekend day in WordPress, quickly, cleanly and accurately.
· Find news and culture stories important to the African American community featuring Black newsmakers on other sites and social media for aggregated write ups assigned to the writer. Then edit those stories with captivating headlines.
· Knowledge of SEO best practices applied to each post
· Choose interesting and creative photos for each post using various photo subscriptions
· Candidates are expected to have extensive knowledge of Black culture, Black celebrities and news pertaining to the Black community
· At the minimum, two years of experience as an editor on a digital website is required, covering news of various kinds, writing, editing and/or producing multiple posts a day
· Experience and proficiency writing in WordPress
· Strong understanding of social media
· Relentless enthusiasm, reliable, trustworthy, and collaborative spirit
· Must be able to work in a deadline driven environment
· Copy Editing skills are a plus
· Experience doing SEO on posts is a plus
· Bachelor’s degree ideally in Journalism, mass communications or a similar field
Interested candidate must submit a resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered