Posted On: September 2, 2020
Media Organization: Latino USA
The Futuro Media Group is an independent nonprofit organization producing multimedia journalism that explores and gives a critical voice to the diversity of the American experience. Based in Harlem and founded in 2010 by award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa, Futuro Media is committed to creating multimedia content for and about the new American mainstream in the service of empowering people to navigate the complexities of an increasingly diverse and connected world.
Futuro Media is a diverse and equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without discrimination.
Latino USA, a nationally broadcast hour-long radio program distributed by PRX, and weekly podcast hosted by Maria Hinojosa, is seeking a Producer for a full-time, permanent position to join our expanding and vibrant team of audio journalists.
Latino USA’s interviews and pieces cover subjects concerning Latinos nationwide with heavy focus on arts, cultural coverage, immigration, criminal justice, technology, human rights, labor, sexual and reproductive health coverage. For more information on the show, go to www.latinousa.org. The offices of Futuro Media Group, which produces Latino USA, are located in Harlem, New York City.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Producer will:
* Produce long-form, character-driven features and investigations for national radio;
* Generate ideas for coverage of the aforementioned topic areas (plus more) and bring well-developed pitches to the weekly editorial meeting;
* Work with reporters and partners to gather tape and interviews for the show;
* Travel as needed while working closely with host on special projects;
* Report on topics as assigned and produce first-person radio features as needed;
* Write, book, line produce, and edit host-led 2-ways;
* Brief the host prior to regular appearances on other broadcast outlets if needed;
* Write web content and social media as assigned;
* Help with general production tasks as needed.
* Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in journalism, communications, Latino studies, or a related field; or equivalent work experience.
* Two to five years of experience producing long-form or documentary radio or podcast reports.
* Experience writing and editing broadcast scripts for radio or television.
* Spanish language skills are a plus, but not required.
* A knack for developing relationships and sources.
* Significant experience with ProTools or similar digital audio editing platforms.
* Experience working with talent.
* Commitment to diverse coverage within and outside of the Latino community, in terms of sexual orientation, gender, and race.
* Ability to think thematically and integrate stories into the larger narrative of each week’s program.
* Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment in different stages of the production process.
* Ability to execute stories assigned by the editorial staff.
* Ability to prioritize while working on different tasks
* Experience pitching story ideas and subsequently developing them.
* Attention to detail, great organizational skills, and capacity to complete projects in their entirety and on deadline.
* Teamwork ethic, great communication skills, and rock-solid reliability.
DEADLINE AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Please submit the following:
a cover letter stating qualifications;
three (3) work samples (can be links);
and three (3) references.
Must be submitted by Friday, September 4th, 2020 to be considered for this position. To apply, please send your application materials via email with the subject “Latino USA Producer Position” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.