Posted On: December 28, 2020
Media Organization: The Scientist
A word about diversity
The Scientist and its parent company, LabX Media Group (LMG), are equal opportunity employers. The Scientist and LMG recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote employees regardless of race, religion, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
At The Scientist, we welcome a diverse mix of talented people who want to do their best work in an inclusive environment. We are dedicated to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion and seek an editorial staff that reflects the diversity of our society and our audience.
The Scientist magazine, an award-winning print publication and website covering the life sciences for research professionals and science-curious members of the public, is seeking a staff writer/editor to join its team of journalists.
The position includes reporting, assigning, and editing articles for the magazine and website, and contributing to social media content. Ideal candidates will have at least three years of experience in science journalism and a strong background in communication and in the life sciences.
This is a US/Canada-based telecommute position operating during US East Coast business hours. The staff writer/editor will join a tight-knit team that collaborates in fulfilling our mission to deliver accurate, meaningful, and engaging stories for our audience. We seek to amplify underrepresented voices, and we encourage journalists from underrepresented groups to apply.
· Report articles for various departments of the magazine and website, including news, profiles, features, and trends pieces
· Usher articles through the editing process, from conceptualization to final copy, working with staff writers and freelance reporters
· Proofread articles
· Occasionally travel for conferences or reporting assignments
· Contribute to multimedia projects, such as infographics and videos
· Post stories to the website
· Participate in regular editorial meetings, pitch story ideas, support/mentor interns, helping maintain website
· At least three years of experience as a science journalist. Ideal candidates will have spent time as a staff member of a newsroom and will have diverse clips, from breaking news to long-form features.
· A bachelor’s degree in a scientific field is required; an advanced degree is a plus.
· Dedication to the highest standards of journalism
· A firm grasp of biology, in particular, genomics, molecular biology, neuroscience, immunology, and comfort with researching, reading, and translating primary literature into compelling stories
· Excellent reporting and writing skills
· Outstanding time management
Please send resume, cover letter, three references, and three published clips to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply is January 11, 2021.