Posted On: February 22, 2021
Media Organization: Council on Foreign Relations
Founded in 1921, the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is a leading nonprofit membership organization, research center, and publisher, with headquarters in New York, an office in Washington, DC, and programs nationwide. It is dedicated to increasing America's understanding of the world and contributing ideas to U.S. foreign policy. CFR's 5,000+ members are leaders in international affairs and foreign policy. CFR also publishes Foreign Affairs, the preeminent magazine on global issues, and provides up-to-date information about the world and U.S. foreign policy on its award-winning website, CFR.org.
The Council on Foreign Relations offers a benefits package that is among the best offered by nonprofit institutions today, including an award-winning health and wellness program, an on-site fitness center, and generous leave policies and health insurance programs.
The Council on Foreign Relations is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks candidates from a diverse background.
The Council’s David Rockefeller Studies Program is one of the country’s largest foreign policy think tanks with a widely respected and influential research staff. The Studies Program’s aim is to advance the discussion of American foreign policy and international affairs through its writing, publications, public outreach, and discussions.
Think Global Health is a CFR-sponsored online magazine that examines the ways that health shapes economies, societies, and everyday lives around the world. In its first nine months of operation, the site has published more than 300 articles from nearly 300 authors, representing over fifty countries on six continents, and it has attracted more than 1.7 million pageviews. Major news outlets, such as the New York Times, the Washington Post, The Atlantic, BBC, Vox, New York Magazine, and many others, have shared and linked Think Global Health articles and interviews.
Under the direction of the Director of the Global Health Program, the Deputy Managing Editor will be responsible for managing daily operations for the magazine, writing content, coordinating the work of contributors, and editing.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
• Handle the day-to-day management of the website, including solicitation of possible contributors, oversee the issuing of the weekly newsletter, participating in the editing and preparation of content for the site, and posting content on schedule
• Periodically write on emerging global health issues for the site and conduct interviews of leading policymakers, front line health workers, and other experts working in the field
• Work with multiple contributors to the website to coordinate their submissions, including editing, verifying facts, ensuring the contributors adhere to deadlines, and conferring with authors regarding changes in style or organization
• Work in CFR’s content management system to create, build, post, and tag site content.
• Work with photography databases to select photographs to accompany articles and coordinate data visualizations for the site
• Five or more years of professional editorial experience
• Exceptional writing and editing skills
• A demonstrated knowledge of and a passion for global health and international affairs
• Experience in global health, science, or international affairs journalism strongly preferred
• Bachelors degree or higher, with a high record of academic achievement
• Experience with digital publishing, social media, and multimedia editing
• Experience with content management systems, HTML, Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, and InDesign. Drupal experience preferred
• Prior work with data visualization, particularly Datawrapper experience, preferred
• Demonstrated ability to manage projects in a deadline driven environment
• Entrepreneurial self-starter with proven ability to work with small groups and senior staff, and on projects spanning different time zones and cultural contexts
Apply online: https://careers-cfr.icims.com/jobs/1765/deputy-managing-editor%2c-think-global-health/job?mode=view&mobile=false&width=640&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240