Posted On: June 25, 2021
Media Organization:Park Avenue Synagogue
DESCRIPTION OF PARK AVENUE SYNAGOGUE:
Park Avenue Synagogue (PAS) is one of the largest Conservative congregations in North America. Located on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, the synagogue includes a staff of more than 160 talented individuals, who together with our world-class clergy team, serve a membership of over 1,700 households. Our thriving Adult Programming, Penn Family Early Childhood Center, Congregational School, Youth, and Young Family Education departments provide high quality and inclusive Jewish educational, social, and worship opportunities to our members and the community at large.
Director of Communications
DESCRIPTION OF COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT:
The Park Avenue Synagogue Communications Department supports Park Avenue Synagogue’s active and consistent presence in the lives of its members and PAS’ voice on issues relevant to the Jewish Community in New York City and beyond. The Communications Department is responsible for shaping the voice of all synagogue communications and developing and implementing the communications strategy and vision of the institution. It oversees all member and greater community-facing communications, facilitating PAS clergy and staff participation in key Jewish communal conversations, and serves as a spokesperson for PAS, publicizing PAS resources and content, including sermons, think pieces, and music. The Communications Department is technology and media forward thinking, making use of a wide range of tools to support its mission. As brand ambassador, the Communications Department supports the clergy, staff, and lay leadership in executing the message, look, and feel of all communications across our various channels and using multiple technologies.
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
The Director of Communications leads a four-person (and growing!) Communications Department, responsible for developing and implementing Park Avenue Synagogue’s strategy, while ensuring the timely and accurate representation of Park Avenue Synagogue in all member and community communications. A member of PAS’ senior leadership team, the Director advances the purpose of the department, described above, and oversees all communications across all channels. The Director of Communications thrives in a fast-paced and dynamic environment and is an expert convener and collaborator.
• Develop and maintain an overall strategic communications vision, plan, and brand strategy.
• Shepherd decision-making and prioritization process for all communications with senior leadership team; develop process for determining communications hierarchy.
• Serve as brand ambassador; maintain and update style guide and brand book with Communications Team.
• Develop and implement policies surrounding communications deadlines, volume, and sub-brands. Establish communications workflows and best practices to inform and organize communications across all departments and sub-brands.
• Serve as lead copywriter for member and community communications.
• Manage public relations, external communications, and develop press releases.
• Oversee and direct the look and feel of a high volume of communications across multiple channels ranging from email to program catalogs, from social media to video.
• With Communications Team, ensure that all events and activities are publicized in a timely, accurate, cohesive, uniform manner.
• With Communications Team, ensure routine website maintenance and content updates (home page, landing pages, website calendar, etc.)
• Manage and optimize social media and podcast strategy and footprint for the synagogue.
• Establish clear benchmarks for success using data analytics, evaluating the institution’s progress and optimizing communications as needed.
• Manage vendors (printers, web designers, etc.) key to the communications process.
• Develop and manage communications budget; track and control expenditures.
• Work closely with the lay-led Communications Committee.
• Evaluate the benefits and risks of new communications channels to determine ROI for the institution and make recommendations.
• Keep abreast of new developments in communications channels and technology to ensure that the institutional communications stay modern and fresh and are reaching all intended audiences.
• A minimum 10 years’ related experience in digital media, communications, and/or marketing.
• Demonstrated success in managing multi-faceted communications strategy.
• Demonstrated success in planning, initiating, and completing projects in collaboration with other professionals and volunteers.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills and the talent to tailor messages to specific target audiences.
• Experience developing and maintaining press contacts.
• Sound judgment, ability to think strategically and solve problems, and capable of managing multiple projects and tasks at one time.
• Strong attention to detail and deadlines.
• Fluent in Microsoft Office, content management systems, social media platforms, and search engine optimization. Experience with basic HTML, graphic design in Photoshop, Drupal, iContact, Salesforce, Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, and Form Assembly is a plus.
• Knowledge and experience pursuing state-of-the-art communications technology.
• Open and receptive to ideas and feedback.
• Able to work in a dynamic environment with changing demands and expectations, and open to new things and to working outside of the job description.
• Familiarity with Hebrew, Jewish holidays and customs, and synagogue life is a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.