Posted On: July 12, 2022
Media Organization: Spectrum / Simons Foundation
Spectrum is an autism news site intended for scientists, although many non-scientists read us too.
Spectrum is an autism news site intended for scientists, although many non-scientists read us too. We are looking for an experienced and savvy enterprise reporter to boost investigative reporting on our site, a talented reporter who is excited to analyze data from autism research, pursue public records requests and develop important, impactful stories to inspire and engage our core audience of researchers.
This is a fantastic opportunity for tenacious reporter looking to break important stories and dive into an exciting and rapidly growing field. You'll take on long-term writing assignments, working with our enterprise editor on feature stories. You'll also write deeply-reported news analyses and contribute to multimedia projects. You'll work with our award-winning team to find the stories behind the numbers in autism research, hold scientists accountable and spot trends by connecting dots.
• Assess the news value of data and data analysis.
• Report and write enterprise news and long-form stories and help inform the direction of accompanying graphics and interactive applications.
• Collaborate with Spectrum 's team of reporters and editors to challenge story ideas, generate discussion and find fresh angles and leads.
• Build new forms of storytelling to convey ideas that aren't best communicated with text alone.
• Cultivate sources, embed yourself in the community and be the first to know about trends and provocative advances.
• Attend and report from conferences.
• Keep abreast of trends in digital storytelling and investigative reporting.
• Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
• Bachelor's degree
• At least three years of experience in investigative reporting
Related Skills & Other Requirements
• Attention to detail and ability to thoroughly check work for accuracy
• Working knowledge of Excel
• Strong analytical, research and investigative skills
• Experience with public-records requests
• Familiarity with math and basic statistics for data analysis
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
• Please submit a rsum, a portfolio of your work and cover letter stating your interest in the position.
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment.The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/ygPd6PUwNKZYZINnmfyLpm