Posted On: October 6, 2022
Media Organization: Simons Foundation
Quanta Magazine seeks a director of video to lead the development, production, workflow and strategy of the magazines fast-growing video department.
Quanta Magazine seeks a director of video to lead the development, production, workflow and strategy of the magazine's fast-growing video department. The ideal candidate has a strong background in video journalism - including editorial leadership experience - and a passion for science storytelling. We are looking for someone who is at once a skilled writer and journalist, a creative leader, an inspiring recruiter and manager of talent, as well as a strategic thinker with big ideas and a proven ability to execute them to the highest standards. Candidates should possess a deep knowledge of all aspects of video and film production, including development, story editing, producing, interviewing, editing, art direction and animation supervision. Devotion to journalistic ethics and scientific accuracy are a must. Experience building video departments or brands within journalistic organizations is preferred.
The video director will work with the editor in chief to develop and hone the magazine's video strategy and with the editorial staff to dream up and produce high-impact video and multimedia features, while managing a staff video producer and a growing stable of freelance contributors. The director of video must be comfortable wearing many hats at different times, working variously as a development leader, a production manager, a hands-on producer, a script editor, and an art director capable of envisioning creative ways to communicate science.
This full-time position will report to the editor in chief. It is based at the Simons Foundation offices in New York City.
• Conceptualize and lead the production of animated video explainers, hosted series and short documentaries about the life sciences, physics, computer science and mathematics.
• Hire and manage staff video producer and freelance illustrators, animators, additional producers, cinematographers and editors.
• Develop video strategy in collaboration with editor in chief.
• Manage video budget.
• Manage Quanta 's YouTube channel .
• Develop pitches, identify experts to partner with, conduct research and write scripts working closely with the expert.
• Direct experts through narration recording, create storyboards, supervise and give notes to illustrators and animators, create a sound mix with SFX and music cues, and manage deliverables through publication.
• Conduct outreach and research, write interview questions, scout for visual opportunities, create a shooting schedule, collaborate with crew and subject on location and perform other production tasks as needed.
• Help assemble creative teams for new projects and initiatives.
• Partner with Quanta 's engagement editor to create social assets for videos as needed.
Experience and Skills
• At least 10 years of experience producing, writing, and editing videos and written journalism for an established publication, with a proven track record of conceiving and creating impactful video journalism.
• A background in journalism is required. A background in science journalism is a plus.
• Experience and proficiency with all aspects of video production, including development, producing, story editing, art direction, animation supervision, editing and post-production processes.
• Experience supervising freelance and staff video producers, editors, cinematographers, illustrators, and animators, as well as managing budgets and expenses.
• Must be conversant in the best practices for building a successful YouTube channel and for Web video publishing generally. Must be comfortable contributing videos to high-end journalistic packages under tight deadlines and be up-to-date on the latest publishing, SEO and internet conventions.
• Must be detail-oriented, deadline-driven and highly organized, with strong project management skills, and demonstrate the highest standards of written English and visual communication.
• Must be an excellent communicator and team player and have the ability to coordinate video production across Quanta's editorial staff.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
• Cover Letter
• 10 video work samples (with metrics or other supporting data when available)
Quanta Magazine is an award-winning, editorially independent online publication launched by the Simons Foundation to enhance public understanding of science. Our reporters and editors focus on developments in mathematics, theoretical physics, theoretical computer science and the basic life sciences, with an emphasis on delivering timely, accurate, in-depth and well-crafted articles for our broad, discerning audience. In addition to winning awards and accolades for its science writing, Quanta is a 2020 finalist for a National Magazine Award for general excellence. Quanta has syndication partnerships with Wired , The Atlantic , Scientific American , The Washington Post and other publications, has published two books ( Alice and Bob Meet the Wall of Fire and The Prime Number Conspiracy ) and our articles have been translated into several languages.
The Simons Foundation's Diversity Commitment
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment.The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Apply Online: https://www.click2apply.net/bWk6ZGF4pKLywUrOGCwl1d