Posted On: March 8, 2023
Media Organization: Pregnancy Justice (formerly National Advocates for Pregnant Women)
Pregnancy Justice (formerly National Advocates for Pregnant Women) is a New York City-based 501c3 nonprofit advocacy organization that protects the rights and human dignity of pregnant and parenting people, specifically those who are most likely to be targeted for state control and punishment: low-income people, people of color, and those who use drugs. Pregnancy Justice works to ensure that people do not lose their constitutional and human rights as a result of pregnancy; that addiction and other health challenges they face during pregnancy are addressed as health issues, not as crimes; and that families are not needlessly separated based on medical misinformation.
Our work encompasses litigation, litigation support, and legal advocacy; local and national organizing; public policy development; and public education and research. Two principles guide all Pregnancy Justice activities: (1) building bridges and aligning agendas across diverse public health, social justice, and civil rights movements, and (2) leveraging and connecting local organizing and activism with national advocacy and policy work are the keys to success.
● Assist Media & Communications team in the development and execution of social media strategies in alignment with program needs and organizational goals;
● Work with the Digital Communications Associate to create engaging social media content for Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn;
● Develop infographics and videos that enhance overall external messaging;
● Assist with collecting and analyzing email marketing and social media analytics to inform strategy and content development;
● Assist with the creation and distribution of press releases and communicate with reporters;
● Support the communications team at live and online events.
● Current undergraduate or grad school student studying communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or a related field;
● Experience and success creating and developing engaging content for social media, email campaigns, and websites in a nonprofit setting preferred;
● Excellent oral and written communication skills;
● Passion and interest in reproductive and social justice and an interest in Pregnancy Justice’s mission and unique advocacy;
● Proficient in MS Office Suite and using social media platforms;
● Familiarity with or trainability in: social media analytics, website content management systems, Canva, Adobe, media relations;
● Have a team spirit, strong work ethic, and a sense of humor.
DURATION & HOURS: 10 weeks (6/05/2023 - 8/11/ 2023); up to 40 hours per week
STIPEND: $15 per hour
The Media & Digital Communications Intern will be involved in the day-to-day activities of the Pregnancy Justice Media & Communications team. Work will include creating engaging social media content, including graphics and mobile videos, and monitoring their effectiveness, supporting media relations; creating engaging email marketing content; updating the website; conducting research related to our advocacy; and assisting with other communications duties as directed.
The intern will learn how to effectively communicate complex issues in a clear manner. The intern will also learn how to communicate with the public using social and traditional media, and how to support the overall communications/public relations needs of a nonprofit organization. For social media-savvy digital marketing or communications students and others with advocacy talent, this is a great opportunity to get hands-on experience taking on complicated communications challenges that will make a difference.
How to Apply:
● Email resume and cover letter to: Internships@PregnancyJusticeus.org; include this subject line: Media & Digital Communications Intern (Summer 2023)
● Application deadline: Open until filled, with potential for interviews to start by mid-March
● NO PHONE CALLS OR FAXES