Posted On: May 22, 2023
Media Organization: The Messenger
The Messenger is a new digital media company, whose mission it is to deliver accurate, balanced, non-partisan reporting across every subject, from news, politics and business to sports and tech.
The Messenger is seeking breaking news reporters to be part of its Science & Technology section. Your writing should be fast, smart and always accurate; you should love the excitement of covering live news as it breaks; and you must be able to write multiple stories a day, sometimes posting a paragraph at a time so you can be the first to publish. Ideal candidates have a background in science or tech reporting –expertise in a specific beat area is a plus, but also something you can develop on the job. This is a great opportunity for early-career reporters looking to develop their skills and work towards getting their own beat.
• Monitor news feeds and social media for breaking science and tech news
• Quickly and accurately cover breaking news across a variety of subjects
• Conduct research and interviews to confirm facts and add context
• Work under tight deadlines and in a fast-paced environment
• Write compelling copy that engages readers and meet SEO requirements
• Develop and maintain relationships with sources and experts in the industry
• 1-3 years of experience as a science or tech reporter at a news organization, or a Master’s degree in journalism with a concentration in science or technology reporting.
• An ability to write fast and clean copy, and produce multiple bylines a day.
• Strong news judgment and the ability to find breaking stories before they are everywhere.
• A hunger to deliver straight-up news clearly, concisely, and honestly.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Knowledge of AP style and other editorial guidelines.
• Familiarity with different content management systems and editorial tools.
• Exceptional digital journalism skills and the ability to work collaboratively across the platform.
The Messenger is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified candidates to apply for these positions regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
Apply at https://jafcommunications.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=2501209&job