Posted On: January 8, 2024
Media Organization: Texas Sunset Advisory Commission
Sunset works by setting a date on which an agency is abolished unless the Legislature passes a bill to continue it. Sunset staff evaluates the agency and issues recommendations for positive change. The Commission considers the recommendations, hears public testimony, and decides on a package of changes to bring to the full Legislature.
The Editor conducts content and copy edits for Sunset reports and other agency documents for distribution to the Legislature, state agencies, and the public. The Editor also coordinates with all levels of agency staff to help others write and edit material for these audiences. Working under the Deputy Director for Reviews, the Editor assists review teams by suggesting report organization and wording that helps ensure a persuasive message and editing complex material to support teams’ development of report findings and recommendations. The Editor provides an outside perspective on the front end to ensure the material best conveys the message it aims to convey and acts as a copy editor on the back end to ensure the highest quality Sunset reports. The Editor also develops and provides training to other staff on effective business writing, editing techniques, rules of style, and related topics.
This will be a new role for Sunset and the ideal candidate will demonstrate initiative, creativity, critical thinking, and high levels of organization to help design and implement an approach that supports Sunset’s editing capacity. We are a fun, hard-working team of intellectually curious people who believe in our mission to improve government operations. The Sunset Commission is an equal opportunity employer.
Education and Experience
• A bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English, or a related field
• At least one year of full-time experience in writing, journalism, communications, preparation of information releases and reports, or other editorial and production role
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including grammar, syntax, vocabulary, spelling, and general rules of style
• Knowledge of the techniques and methods of planning, organizing, and writing various types of materials
• Skill in expressing information accurately, clearly, persuasively, and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Skill in editing complex writing and translating professional jargon so that it can be understood by a general audience
• Skill in providing constructive editing suggestions and feedback, with meticulous attention to detail
• Skill in using standard computer word processing software programs, including Microsoft Word
• Ability to work in a collaborative team environment and build effective working relationships
• Ability to encounter new material and quickly incorporate lessons learned into a long-term approach
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of material and information
• Ability to manage cyclical, variable work, including working under pressure to manage multiple work assignments with tight project deadlines
• Experience working for a local, state, or federal government in a communications, editorial, policy, or similar role
• Skill in developing report layouts
• Skill in creating report graphics and tables
• State of Texas benefits package, including health insurance, employer-matched retirement plan, and paid vacation and sick leave. Dental, vision, and disability insurance; health and dependent care savings accounts; 401(K); and an employee assistance program are also available.
• Small, professional office located in the Capitol Complex in downtown Austin with parking.
• Hybrid remote and in-office work based on needs of job.
• Merit increases, bonuses, and opportunities to advance based on individual performance and initiative.
• Emphasis on professional development, both through in-house training and opportunities to attend external training sessions, workshops, and seminars.
• $2,000 relocation bonus for new hires residing 250 miles or more from Austin, TX.
Apply here: https://www.sunset.texas.gov/about-us/jobs