Posted On: September 15, 2010
About.com is seeking a smart self-starter with excellent editorial skills and judgment to fill the role of Associate Editor for News, People and Religion at our headquarters in New York City. Experience in an online publishing environment is required. Experience in one or more of these verticals (News, People, Religion) is a plus; Experience working with freelance writers or independent contractors is a strong plus.
The primary responsibility of the Associate Editor will be to fulfill the editorial mission of About.com while improving content quality and audience retention. Associate Editors work with About.com Guides (freelance writers) and the editorial staff to help provide practical solutions to everyday problems facing About.com's millions of readers across a wide variety of topics and interests.
* Review About.com GuideSites regularly to judge quality of content and user experience.
* Work with Guides (freelance writers) and the editorial staff to improve content quality and audience metrics, including pageviews, frequency and duration.
* Develop and maintain good working relationships with Guides and troubleshoot editorial issues while fostering a cooperative team atmosphere within assigned topic areas.
* Write site descriptions for new/unguided sites; work with Content Development team to recruit and hire new Guides.
* Create and implement editorial calendars for effective creation and promotion of content in News, People and Religion Channels.
* Work in conjunction with manager to identify future trends and gaps in coverage in current taxonomy; recommend new GuideSites or potential content partnerships.
* Track metrics that demonstrate improvements in content quality (uniques, user frequency / duration.)
* Track competitive landscape and identify potential risks or opportunities for About.com.
* Bachelor's Degree
* 1-2 years experience creating or editing online content.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Strong online communication skills via email, forums and other methods.
* Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment and familiarize yourself with new topics quickly.
* Must be well-versed in current Web trends and concepts.
* Experience working with freelance writers or independent contractors a strong plus.
Send resume to: email@example.com.