Posted On: September 15, 2010
Dowser (dowser.org) is a recently launched media organization that reports on social innovation, focusing on the question: Who is solving what and how? We highlight creative approaches to social change in order to help people understand how to build better communities and a better world. We envision a day in which everyone is as well-informed about potential solutions to social problems as they are about the problems themselves.
We seek an Editorial Manager with well-honed editing skills, an accessible writing voice, excellent research skills, and a passion for the field of social innovation. The Editorial Manager will source, edit and write articles that embrace a solution-oriented approach to journalism. Based in New York City, this full-time position offers wide-ranging opportunities to apply your creativity, entrepreneurial skills and bold instincts to build a new media organization.
- Edit all written content on the site; ensure consistency in Dowser's engaging, fresh tone
- Recruit and manage team of freelance journalists, bloggers, and interns
- Vet pitches from contributors, assign story topics, and manage all aspects of story development from idea to publication
- Organize content production calendar
- Write original content for Dowser in conversational, energetic and intelligent style; conceive of compelling features and articles
- Keep abreast of current events, trends and writing in the field of social innovation and beyond
- Develop strategies for content distribution and promotion including partnerships and collaborations
- Promote site content through social media; analyze and monitor site traffic
- Manage general administrative tasks associated with a start-up organization
- 3-5 years of editorial experience, especially online
- Experience as a blogger or writer
- Knowledge of and passion for the field of social innovation
- Comfortable with social media, WordPress, and multimedia web
- Entrepreneurially-minded and a self-starter
- Creativity, flexibility and sense of humor needed to work at a fast-paced, start-up media organization
Please submit a resume, cover letter, contact information for two references, and two short writing samples (one-page articles and blog posts preferred) to jobs[@]dowser[dot]org. Indicate how you found out about this job opportunity in your cover letter.