Posted On: September 15, 2010
Media Organization:ALM Media
ALM, an integrated media company, is a leading provider of specialized business news and information, focused primarily on the legal and commercial real estate sectors. ALM's market-leading brands include The American Lawyer, Corporate Counsel, GlobeSt.com, Insight Conferences, Law.com, Law Journal Press, LegalTech, The National Law Journal and Real Estate Forum. Headquartered in New York City, ALM was formed in 1997. For more information, visit www.alm.com.
New York Law Journal – Reporter
• Reviewing all decisions from the courts in Nassau and Suffolk counties, and the appellate divisions; and for reporting on decisions, judges, court administration, bar groups, law firms and government agencies.
• Develop relationships with personnel in the following agencies and cover: trial and surrogate's courts in Nassau and Suffolk counties; administrative judges and other OCA offices; U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District, specifically Central Islip; The District Attorneys Offices in both Nassau and Suffolk counties; major law firms and small firms and solo practitioners; and bar associations.
• Develop an expertise in evaluating decisions from the Appellate Division, Second Department.
• The other part of this job is to work with the NYLJ reporting staff on longer term projects and features.
• The reporter must be able to cover breaking news for the web, and provide longer form stories with context for the daily paper; as well as find and report longer term features.
• Persons seeking this position should understand the special relationship between the New York Law Journal and the state and federal courts. While we pride ourselves on our aggressive and sophisticated reporting, we also take pride in our professionalism, our fair and balanced reporting, and the fact that we treat our sources with respect. This reporter is the face of the Law Journal on Long Island and must be willing to adhere to our high journalistic and professional standards
• College degree and several years of daily newspaper reporting with emphasis on legal reporting a must.
• Law degree is preferable.
• The ideal candidate must be able to maintain relationships with court personnel, develop sources, doggedly track down information, write clearly and file on deadline
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please. ALM is an equal opportunity employer that encourages and values diversity. M/F/D/V
ALM places a high value on employees and strives to be an employer of choice. To that end we offer competitive salaries, professional growth opportunities, and a comprehensive selection of benefits that include: medical, dental, vision, 401(K) and life insurance options.
Qualified candidates should submit resume, cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org for immediate consideration. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please. ALM is an equal opportunit