Posted On: December 13, 2010
Media Organization: WNYC & WQXR
About WQXR: New York Public Radio is preserving classical music on the New York airwaves and online globally with its recent acquisition of the WQXR brand, URL and frequency 105.9FM from The New York Times. With this transition, WQXR moves from being a commercial station to operating as a public media broadcaster on multiple platforms. Classical 105.9FM and wqxr.org is New York City’s sole classical music station, which presents new and landmark classical recordings as well as live concerts from the Metropolitan Opera and the New York Philharmonic, among other New York City venues, and produces original live programming from New York Public Radio’s The Jerome L. Greene Performance Space, immersing listeners in the city’s rich musical life For more info, visit: www.wqxr.org.
Broadcasting in the largest U.S. market, WQXR serves a significant audience and has opportunity for even more growth. WQXR’s mission is to not only keep classical music alive and strong on the radio and online, but to grow the current audience, to provide a strong listener funded base for the programming that is sustainable long into the future, and to provide a highly local service. WQXR uses its broadcast and internet platforms to serve the broad audience in ways that are most fitted to the particular platform experience.
WQXR is part of the New York Public Radio family of stations, 105.9FM, 93.9FM, and AM820, wqxr.org, wnyc.org, thegreenespace.org
WQXR is seeking a Director of Digital Content to lead efforts that build the foundation for long-term growth of WQXR as the leading multi-platform digital content provider for classical music content. Incumbent will create a framework to manage the highest level of content distributed through WQXR’s website, fully integrate WQXR brand and content across all digital platforms, including station/show websites, new broadband content, podcasting, satellite radio, internet radio, HD radio, and mobile casting. Partner with key stakeholders on business development in exploration and negotiation for web and mobile activity and work with Development Department to raise philanthropic funds. The position reports to the Vice President of WQXR.
The WQXR Director of Digital Content will work in close partnership with the Chief Digital Officer (CDO) for New York Public Radio to coordinate all WQXR strategy and implementation into the broadest goals for NYPR. Specific partnerships will include, but are not limited to, external business-to-business relationships, new product development, user experience, community building and strategy. In key areas below, where (VP/CDO) is listed, these tasks will be coordinated very closely with VP, WQXR and CDO
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Manage all content on wqxr.org, ensuring the highest of artistic and editorial standards, relevance and timeliness
• Maintain WQXR digital resources and content taking full advantage of the highest technical standards for security and user functionality (VP/CDO)
• Create distinctive digital cross-platform content , harnessing the full resources of WQXR’s host talent, and other talent within NYPR
• Position WQXR as a primary social media venue and destination within the classical music world, building a large and active on-line community via current social media sites and ready WQXR for new social media venues as they become viable
• Set the most appropriate tone, aesthetic and voice for wqxr.org and all other digital resources.
• For all digital strategies and projects, lead efforts to increase audience loyalty and drive higher traffic to platform, user interface or mobile application (VP/CDO)
• Act as primary advocate for all digital initiatives for WQXR (VP/CDO)
• Manage wqxr.org’s daily updates, including overseeing the creation of WQXR original web content, text editing, and programming content for the WQXR site, including articles, blog posts and other content relating to classical music
• Oversee and expand WQXR’s social media presence (VP/CDO)
• Syndicate online content for WQXR, where appropriate
• Work to create and implement websites and other digital offerings for new WQXR Radio program launches
• Develop programs to support membership and underwriting initiatives, in conjunction with NYPR’s membership and underwriting departments
• Develop networking channels by fostering relationships within the media, convergence and cultural communities
STRATEGY AND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
• Initiate and organize strategic planning for WQXR’s digital initiatives. (VP/CDO)
• Focus on company-level and multi-platform relationships with New York Public Radio (NYPR) and beyond.
• Initiate and manage innovative cross-marketing relationships with entities that have access to WQXR’s audience; leverage WQXR’s content to get exposure to partners’ markets. (VP/CDO)
• Create earned revenue opportunities for digital products and projects. (VP/CDO)
• Work with CDO to manage appropriate B2B partnerships, technology development and other compatible relationships outside of WQXR. (VP/CDO)
• Liaise with NPR, PRI, CPB, APM and other public media outlets on digital initiatives for WQXR. (VP/CDO)
• Keep abreast of new technologies and business models to be able to evaluate their relevance to WQXR’s vision, and integration within the NYPR family.
• Maintain awareness of industry trends and competitive landscape: design, content, user interfaces, social media, information architecture of Public Broadcasting and other Media and News and Information websites.
• Direct, supervise and coach the wqxr.org content staff. Develop a diverse and high-quality staff that is well prepared to meet the ongoing challenges of a first-rate institution and content.
• Lead a workplace characterized by mutual respect and open discussion in which all strive for excellence and innovation.
• Work as an integral part of WQXR’s management team and assume a leadership position within NYPR, throughout the public radio community, and with the media community in New York and nationally in the advancement of WQXR’s goals.
• Build and develop effective relationships with NYPR’s CDO, directors and staff and manage interdepartmental projects as assigned.
• Bring multiple perspectives to work aimed at distinct and diverse audiences.
• Successfully manage within the established budget as developed by you and approved by the VP of WQXR.
• Develop and implement clear roles, job descriptions, work flows, processes and staffing levels/structure and schedules to optimize resources and produce the best work.
• Set clear and effective department and individual goals; complete and submit annual goals; provide timely and effective reviews of staff performance.
• Foster an environment of cohesiveness and collaboration with colleagues across all NYPR departments and with the show partners.
• Comply with and administer WQXR and NYPR policies and procedures.
• All other job duties as may be assigned from time to time.
• Chief Digital Officer, NYPR
• WQXR’s Senior Team: Program Director and Executive Producer
• WQXR On-Air talent
• 5-8 years experience in creating and managing digital content to the highest standards.
• Significant knowledge of and appreciation for classical music and related art forms.
• Active knowledge of the New York classical music landscape, both for traditional classical cannon and contemporary music.
• Demonstrated track record of growing audience, traffic and community on digital platforms.
• Demonstrated success leading projects from concept through execution.
• Must be a self-starter, highly organized, and able to work with enthusiasm and effectiveness at all levels of the organization.
• Demonstrated portfolio of business development success preferred.
• Experienced manager of financial, operational and creative elements of projects required.
• Proven technical expertise required.
• The intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively with the senior leadership team, colleagues, staff and external partners and provide motivation at all levels of an organization.
• Proven ability to build a cohesive, high-performing staff and work teams and to develop the skills and nurture growth of staff members.
• Excellent communication skills—both oral and written—with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
TO APPLY: Submission Deadline no later than 12:00 a.m. ET on January 9, 2011.
Please submit a cover letter, salary requirements and resume online to firstname.lastname@example.org with “QXR Dir Digital” and your last name in the subject line.
WNYC must receive all information requested in order to consider your candidacy.
Qualified candidates only please. No calls. No agencies.
Candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
WNYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and invites and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life.