Posted On: May 23, 2011
Media Organization: Etsy.com
Etsy is the world's most vibrant handmade marketplace. Our mission is to enable people all over the world to make a living making things. Etsy is growing rapidly and needs talented, motivated people to join that mission. The growing Etsy community includes over 8 million members in over 150 countries. Our sellers collectively list around 8.5 million active items, and in 2010 we sold over $300 million of goods. Etsy operates transparently and you can check in to see how the Etsy community is doing in our monthly weather reports.
Etsy is led by CEO and co-founder Rob Kalin. We are backed by Accel Partners, Union Square Ventures and Index Ventures; count the founders of Flickr and Delicious as our earliest investors; and are proud to have Caterina Fake, Jim Breyer, Stephanie Tilenius, and Fred Wilson on our board.
Etsy’s editors are seeking a full-time paid intern who is NYC-based and able to work from our Brooklyn office for a term of six months. We're a tight-knit group of writers, editors and video producers. Our blog (http://blog.etsy.com) is geared towards readers interested in culture and style. We’re curious about people and what they make, exchange and consume. By looking around at the stuff that matters to our lives, we believe we can understand more about what moves us as human beings. On our blog, we uncover the personal stories behind the makers and collectors on Etsy. We highlight the most eye-catching, provocative and forward-thinking products. We report on issues that matter to our community, like buying responsibly, eating well and supporting independent businesses and artists. We curate the must-reads of the blogosphere for our readers.
About the Internship
In this internship you will gain experience:
- Working for a company with a very passionate online community.
- Writing and editing for a broad array of readers.
- Coming up with creative ways to do visual merchandising.
- Participating in a collaborative work-flow at a growing Internet company.
Your responsibilities will be:
- Proof posts and edit for content, style and editorial voice.
- Produce graphic layouts, handle formatting and merchandising.
- Opportunities to write original posts.
- Previous experience in online or print editorial, copy-editing, writing, researching and reporting.
- Knowledge of the landscape of lifestyle and culture publications online, in print and broadcast.
- Previous experience with photo editing. Great Photoshop skills are a must.
- Merchandising or styling experience. Great taste is a must!
- Basic HTML knowledge, deep familiarity with blogging software (such as WordPress).
- Professional and personable communication skills in dealing with colleagues, customers and online community.
- Self-motivated in completing projects. Ability to roll with the punches in a fast-paced environment.
- Detail-oriented with very high standards.
- Passionate about blogging and new media content, especially in regards to DIY, fashion, entrepreneurship.
- Career goals at the intersection of editorial, new media, community, art and culture.
- Curious mind.
Apply at http://www.etsy.com/jobs/job_description.php?job_id=orIKVfwy