Posted On: June 23, 2011
Media Organization: Human Rights First
Human Rights First builds respect for human rights and the rule of law to help ensure the dignity to which everyone is entitled and to stem intolerance, tyranny, and violence.
Human Rights First is a dynamic, U.S.-based advocacy organization that has worked for over thirty years to leverage U.S. law, policy, and influence to promote human rights around the world.
Human Rights First has a reputation for pragmatic, results-oriented advocacy that is politically astute, grounded in facts, and driven by sophisticated legal and policy analysis. We focus our efforts not on making a point, but on making a difference. We know from experience that human rights progress is more durable when diverse partners work together to bring about change, so we build strategic, non-partisan alliances to support our objectives. We pride ourselves on this practical, inclusive approach. It works.
Human Rights First values high quality work product, a collaborative and supportive work environment, respect for diverse viewpoints, creative approaches to problem solving, flexibility and adaptability of skills, accountability for results, and commitment to lasting change.
Human Rights First is seeking a Web and New Media Manager who, under the direction of the Communications Director, will guide the organization's use of online communications to promote its advocacy goals and ensure that Human Rights First's website, social-media presence and email campaigns project a clear, consistent and compelling organizational voice. The Web and New Media Manager will be responsible for the creation and implementation of an online strategy that engages, retains, and grows the supporter base for Human Rights First and increases the organization's footprint and impact. This position is based in our New York City office.
As a member of Human Rights First's communications team, the Web and New Media Manager will work closely with the six other members of the communications department to make sure that Human Rights First's online communications are fully integrated with other communications strategies. He/she will supervise the Web Publisher and lead projects involving other communications, program, advocacy, and operations staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop and maintain Human Rights First's website as a cutting edge communications tool by devising and implementing innovative approaches to serving Human Rights First's current audiences and attracting prospective and specialized audiences.
• Coordinating with program, advocacy and communications staff, plan and produce integrated new media campaigns for Human Rights First to engage supporters and generate public attention around key advocacy goals.
• Understand the news and political environment and ensure that Human Rights First is keeping up with online discussions and news cycles to take advantage of opportunities for online activism.
• Set a standard of excellence for new media work. Work with staff across the organization to guide and oversee the writing, reviewing, editing and updating of all content across new media channels (the website, advocacy and fundraising emails, Facebook, Twitter, podcasts, and video) to meet those standards.
• Manage Human Right's First's Google grant account.
• Cultivate relationships with bloggers, online media, and allied organizations to support outreach efforts.
Provide guidance and oversight to Human Rights First staff in:
• Developing content for the Human Rights First website to advance online advocacy
The Web and New Media Manager reports to the Communications Director and will supervise the Web Publisher. The Web and New Media Manager is responsible for leading projects involving communications, policy, and operations staff.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum five years substantial online campaign experience with political, advocacy and/or non-profit organizations
• Excellent writing and editing skills specific to web and new media content
• Advanced knowledge of mass email, social media, and the tools that accompany it
• Interest and experience working in and using new media to achieve policy change in human rights and international affairs
• Demonstrated experience implementing strategies for online engagement and community building
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; experience editing and proof reading required.
• Project management experience a must
• Strong interpersonal skills and collaborative ability
• Proven management and supervisory skills
• Demonstrated experience coordinating online advertising campaigns
• Experience using online analytic tools
• Online production experience including newsletters, donations pages and e-mails working with CRM solutions such as Salsa.
ANNUAL SALARY: Competitive with comprehensive benefits package
START DATE: Summer 2011
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Open until filled
Please complete the application located at: http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/Jobs/apply_staff.aspx?qs=EO
You will be requested to provide:
.Cover letter (upload) - please include salary requirements
.Writing sample (upload)
.Names and contact details for three (3) references (enter online)
Please enter Recruitment Code 126 when completing the application.
Only selected applicants will be contacted for phone or in-person interviews. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
HUMAN RIGHTS FIRST IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE CONSIDER APPLICANTS FOR ALL POSITIONS WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, CREED, GENDER, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY, MARITAL OR VETERAN STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, OR ANY OTHER LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS.