Posted On: July 13, 2011
Media Organization: Newsday.com
One of the nation's leading newspaper websites, located in the New York metropolitan area.
Newsday.com is looking for an assistant news manager to oversee the news programming of its site at night and lead its breaking news coverage in the competitive New York metro-area market.
This is a position that requires newsroom experience, strong news judgment and organizational skills.
Nightly responsibilities include:
- Programming the homepage and all subsections of newsday.com, including the sports section as necessary;
- Working on deadline to create photo galleries and assemble online packages to accompany articles;
- Attending evening news meetings;
- Developing relationships with the print staff to ensure a fluid workflow from print to web;
- Assigning and supervising the work of interns.
Our ideal candidate is:
- Committed to a high standard of journalism with a keen attention to detail;
- Fast, accurate and flexible;
- Adept at juggling a variety of tasks and is calm under pressure in breaking news situations;
- Able to demonstrate strong communication skills with colleagues online and in print;
- Knowledgeable about the role social media and mobile applications play in expanding a website’s reach, and comfortable with technology;
- Interested in researching and developing new ways newsday.com can better serve its readership and improve user interaction on the site;
Experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree and at least one year of newsroom Web publishing experience;
- Basic HTML and photo editing skills and experience working with video;
- Reliable transportation to and from Newsday’s suburban Melville office.
If you are interested in applying for this position, e-mail your resume to Mark.Dwyer@newsday.com. Include in the subject line: Assistant news manager.