Posted On: January 5, 2012
Media Organization: Hospital for Special Surgery
Founded in 1863 in New York City, the Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) is a world leader in orthopedics, rheumatology, and rehabilitation and is nationally ranked as No. 1 in orthopedics and No. 2 in rheumatology by U.S. News & World Report. The mission of HSS is to provide the highest-quality patient care, improve mobility for its patients, enhance the quality of life for all, and to advance the sciences of orthopedic surgery, rheumatology, and their related disciplines through research and education.
A member of the New York-Presbyterian Healthcare System and an affiliate of Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University, HSS operates 205 beds with more than 3,500 full-time employees. Nearly 250 distinguished medical doctors oversee 300,000 patient visits annually and perform more than 25,000 procedures each year in both inpatient and outpatient settings. HSS is located on the East side of Manhattan at 535 East 70th Street. More information can be found on the HSS website: www.hss.edu
The Public Relations and Social Media Manager is responsible for creating positive public awareness and helping to manage the HSS brand and reputation through a wide range of news and social media channels. He/she works with hospital, medical, and scientific leadership to keep important medical and scientific advances in the forefront of public attention. He/she provides counsel to clinicians, researchers, and hospital administrators and leadership who interact with the media.
Working with other members of the communications department, he/she contributes to the planning process and creative ideas for events, stories, and employee communications. He/she must develop solid relationships with key news media and act as spokesperson on behalf of HSS, as necessary.
The specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Help develop a social media strategy and implement the plan through carefully designed initiatives. Coordinate with other areas of the hospital.
• Develop new initiatives for social media, including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, multimedia press releases, etc., with the goal of increasing the number of followers of HSS. Write and input content for and monitor effectiveness of initiatives.
• Build relationships and establish appropriate third-party alliances to help promote HSS strategically, especially through social media channels.
• Achieve significant national, regional, and local publicity on services, therapeutic franchises, and research.
• Develop creative and relevant articles, messages, and other content for scientific and non-scientific audiences, working collaboratively with professionals throughout the hospital and externally.
• A bachelor’s degree is required, with a major in marketing, public relations, communications, advertising, or a related field preferred. A graduate degree is desirable.
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
• Three to five years’ experience in an account management position, with social media; writing and project management responsibility or a similar work experience.
• Experience in healthcare and/or hospitals is highly desired.
• Demonstrated writing capability. Writing portfolio is required.
• Experience managing multiple projects at once and achieving objectives on time and on budget.
• Excellent teamwork skills, as this position requires a high level of coordination of work and interaction with hospital medical staff, employees, and external partners and vendors.
• Proficiency in MS Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and ability to learn other software packages.
E-mail resume and 2-3 writing samples to Natalia Bilash; Director, Talent Acquisition, 3D Leadership, LLC: firstname.lastname@example.org