Posted On: January 28, 2013
Media Organization: Yale University
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Web Operations, enhances the global renown of the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies (F&ES) as a source of powerful scholarship about the environment, and as a School that educates future environmental leaders. Supports the creation, management and execution of communication plans, for synthesizing and communicating complex academic concepts for multiple and ranging audiences. Develops and manages forward-looking strategic communications in traditional and new media – both externally and internally – in order to enhance Yale F&ES’s reputation and communicate Yale F&ES’s messages.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications or related field and five years of experience in public relations, journalism, television, corporate communications or agency work or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated experience in developing communications for a range of media and working with creative professionals in design, photography or video.
• Strong written, editorial and oral communication skills, with the ability to think analytically and articulate ideas clearly. Skilled in writing press releases and other communication materials with attention to facts, detail and context.
• Self-starter, strong work ethic and ability to work both collaboratively and independently in an organized and productive manner on deadline. Well-developed presentation and organizational skills. Strong interest in social media channels.
• Ability to work under pressure, be constructively proactive, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously, while working in a highly complex, dynamic, environment with high level communication and customer service skills.
• A broad understanding of university culture, with excellent interpersonal skills & an ability to work with a wide range of constituents in a collaborative environment. Ability to interact with faculty, researchers, staff & students to accurately interpret& present their message to a broad audience.
• Ability to understand clients’ needs, take their perspective and formulate communications. Highly developed project management skills. Ability to manage group decision-making processes and related procedures, budgets and project timelines. Understanding and passion for environment or science issues.
• Preferred: Demonstrated experience in developing communications for a range of media and working with creative professionals in design, photography or video. Candidates who are interviewed must provide writing samples (press releases or short features) at the time of interview.
For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at www.Yale.edu/jobs - the STARS req ID for this position is 20077BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.