Posted On: January 29, 2013
Media Organization: NYU Steinhardt Planning and Communications
Founded in 1890 as the first professional school of education at an American university, the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development has grown into the second largest school at NYU. The size of a small university, it plays a unique role within NYU, central to the University's mission and identity, giving students the tools to motivate, inspire, help, and heal others in the service of mankind. Educating students in the three areas of culture, education, and human development, NYU Steinhardt has just one profound goal: to empower individuals to build a better world.
NYU Steinhardt’s Planning and Communications office seeks a part-time student marketing assistant to join its marketing communications team. This is an excellent opportunity to gain marketing and social media experience in the context of non-profit and higher education institutions.
Social Media (65%):
• Crafting daily creative social media communications and promotions (conversation starters, news, events, announcements, contests, polls, etc.) to engage current students, prospective students, alumni, and other fans, and to create buzz about the School
• Monitoring the School's various social media channels (including Facebook, Twitter, and others) and appropriately responding to posts/comments in coordination with others
• Coordinating with other social media content producers in Steinhardt academic departments and administrative offices
• Creating an ongoing social media calendar and a weekly report of Facebook activity
• Occasionally meeting with various School constituents to help them set up and properly use social media channels
• Maintaining the School’s social media best practices and policy guidelines online resources
• Updating marketing reports (promotions effectiveness, demographic studies, etc.)
• Undertaking competitor research
• Creating website landing pages using the School’s content management system (no prior experience with content management systems required)
• Assisting with the logistics of photo and video shoots
• Coordinating the content for an annual brochure that showcases the School’s involvement in the American Educational Research Association (AERA) conference
• Data entry
• Programming occasional marketing surveys using web-based software
• Other duties as assigned
First year graduate student preferred. Experience using social media professionally, and an interest in how social media can be used effectively in higher education. Reliably available 15-20 hours per week, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm. Strong communication, writing, organizational, and proofreading skills. Attention to detail. Working knowledge of Word, Excel, and social media platforms required. Experience with Powerpoint and HTML preferred but not required. Ability to manage multiple tasks. Must be conscientious and punctual.
If interested, please email your resume and cover letter to Mary Beth Fenlaw, NYU Steinhardt Director of Marketing, email@example.com by Wednesday, February 6. No phone calls, please.