Posted On: February 21, 2013
Media Organization: Vice President of Communications at Educators 4 Excellence
For far too long, education policy has been created without a critical voice at the table: the voice of classroom teachers. Founded in spring 2010 by two Bronx elementary school teachers, Educators 4 Excellence (E4E) is changing this dynamic by placing the voices of teachers at the forefront of the conversations that shape our classrooms and careers.
E4E envisions a high-quality, prestigious teaching profession that is responsible for driving positive student outcomes. E4E provides teachers opportunities to:
• Learn about the latest education policy news and research;
• Network with like-minded colleagues and policymakers through panel discussions, speaker series, and networking events; and
• Take Action by advocating for teacher-created policy recommendations through E4E’s teacher leadership training programs.
In just a few years, E4E has quickly grown into a national network of over 8,000 progressive teachers, united by the E4E Declaration of Teachers’ Principles and Beliefs. The work of E4E and E4E teachers has resulted in modifications to legislation on issues such as layoffs and teacher evaluation, the publication of nationally significant teacher-created policy papers, and national and local media attention highlighting progressive teacher voices.
With chapters currently operating in both Los Angeles and New York, Educators 4 Excellence is entering an expansion phase as it seeks to provide a platform for teachers across the country to elevate their voices. Grounded in the experience of educators, E4E’s culture revolves around an innovative, entrepreneurial, roll-up-your-sleeves spirit backed by a shared commitment to continuous improvement.
For more information, please visit Educators4Excellence.org.
This is an exciting opportunity for a mission-driven communications professional to shape and execute the communication strategy for a high-growth and ever-changing organization that places student achievement first and seeks to elevate the teaching profession.
Reporting to the Co-Founders and Co-Chief Executive Officers and serving as an E4E National Team member, the Vice President of Communications will develop and manage the overall organizational communications strategy of Educators 4 Excellence. This includes developing an organization-wide branding, messaging, and media strategy to help E4E be seen as a leading conduit of education policy information and ideas; seeking channels so members’ voices can be heard; and training and coaching chapter staff on messaging. The Vice President will be the organization’s primary brand ambassador, and will build relationships with the media as part of E4E’s overall efforts to advance relationships with current and prospective members and drive broader awareness of the organization. In collaboration with other national team members and external partners, the Vice President will also oversee the integration and day-to-day maintenance of E4E’s communications, including: e-mail newsletters, Web, social media, and other online platforms.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Public Relations and Media Relationship-Building
• Cultivate and manage relationships with local and national media outlets to ensure steady and consistent coverage of the organization, with a priority on helping members share their voices publicly
• Manage E4E’s relationship with its public relations firm, and work in collaboration to seek and prioritize media opportunities
• Enhance E4E’s image through publicity, messaging and publications
Communications Strategy Development and Execution
• Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance E4E’s brand positioning, broaden awareness of its programs and priorities, and increase the organization’s visibility to current and prospective members along with key stakeholders
• Create and ensure cohesion of branded print, Web, and multimedia materials for national and chapter functions
• Manage the development and distribution of all print and electronic collateral, including E4E’s weekly membership e-mail and key internal and external communications campaigns
Team and Member Development
• Train and coach chapter executive directors and other team members for local media interactions and grassroots communications
• Develop and implement a training curriculum to prepare chapter staff and members for media interactions
• Work with chapter teams and members to ensure that new and consistent information is posted on E4E’s website and social media platforms – especially teacher-generated content
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
• Bachelor’s degree
• Minimum seven years of work experience, including significant experience in communications and media relations
• Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic brand management, and media relations to advance an organization's mission and goals
• Proven success in project and vendor management, leveraging time and resources as efficiently and effectively as possible
• Experience in planning, writing, editing, and producing newsletters, press releases, annual reports, and marketing collateral
• Skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
• Training, facilitation, and/or coaching experience
• A track record as an innovative thinker, problem-solver, and communicator, especially in regards to utilizing new media technologies
Moreover, all E4E candidates will have a/an:
• Empathy for, understanding of, and respect for the teaching profession; previous classroom experience strongly preferred
• Deep commitment to the values of E4E and passion for students, improving education, and closing the achievement gap
• Understanding of education policy and the education reform movement, both locally and nationally
• Solid written and verbal communications skills
• Demonstrated record as both a team player and a self-starter, including exceptional organization and time management skills; a demonstrated ability to design a work plan, prioritize and meet goals; grace under pressure and a good sense of humor; and an innovative spirit
• Ability to work non-traditional hours, including weekday evenings and some weekends
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary for this position is commensurate with experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included
Apply online at www.on-ramps.com/jobs/819