Posted On: July 9, 2013
Media Organization: The College Board
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®.
The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required. Please understand that only qualified applicants will be contacted.
The Director, Editorial Services is responsible for maintaining and managing the editorial process, and for facilitating that process for all College Board content including digital media, marketing, and operational materials. The Director, Editorial Services is the owner of the College Board Editorial Guidelines, and is responsible for the document’s management, maintenance, updating, and communication.
* Responsible for daily workflow, prioritization, and for communicating with project managers and sponsors about levels of work, scheduling, expectations, feasibility, etc.
* Directly responsible for providing content development and hands-on editorial services for various digital College Board initiatives.
* Ensures that all content adheres to the established College Board Editorial Guidelines for grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, word usage, consistency, trademarks and copyrights, style/content of the program, and light fact-checking.
* Fully accountable for editorial quality and accuracy of all reviewed digital and print marketing material.
* Daily supervision of a staff of copyeditors as well as external editorial resources.
* Manages Independent Contracts for freelance copyeditors, proofreaders and translators. Assigns projects to these external resources as necessary, providing cost estimates and schedules to project managers and sponsors.
* Acts as an expert resource on all editorial matters and on College Board information as it applies to print and digital projects, collaborating with staff and sponsors across the organization to provide expert recommendations on all issues related to editorial style and content development.
* Owns the College Board Editorial Guidelines and, as such, is responsible for their implementation on all marketing material. Consults with service units/programs as needed to keep Guidelines as up to date as possible. Requires in-depth knowledge of Associated Press style, Chicago Manual, Words into Type, and other standard editorial authorities.
* Responsible for cross training editorial staff to work across various media channels including digital, print and web.
* Participates, where appropriate, to provide Editorial expertise in the development of program style guides, trademarks and logos with internal and external colleagues.
* Keeps up-to-date files on all College Board-related information, including dates, events, program names, copyrights and trademarks, senior staff, department heads, addresses, important phone numbers, registration information, etc.
* Manages editorial process for College Board corporate communications, both internal and external, including Connect, Connection, press releases, and other high profile material.
* Participates in the evaluation and implementation of new editorial workflow processes.
* Collaborates with internal colleagues, including Production, Design/Desktop and Project Management to ensure process is efficient and effective.
* Passion for content strategy and eagerness to mentor and elevate staff.
* Bachelor’s Degree, 5-7 years of directly related work experience.
* Demonstrated project management and time management skills, including ability to accurately gauge project duration, manage expectations, deliver on deadlines, and handle conflicting priorities.
* Proven hands-on experience creating and managing content in web content management systems, including understanding of, and comfort with, the technical and workflow issues surrounding large-scale digital content projects. Drupal experience strongly preferred.
* Demonstrated experience in sourcing and managing internal and external content providers.
* Well-developed communication skills including ability to articulate content-related concepts and rationale to other team members and stakeholders.
* Passion for content strategy and eagerness to mentor and elevate other creative people.
* Responsible for training and ensuring that freelancers meet CB standards.
* Experience in education-related industries strongly preferred.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
* Experience managing staff and large volume workload is crucial to success in this position.
* Specialized, proven editorial ability with complete knowledge of proofreading and copyediting symbols and general publishing/publications standards and practices.
* Friendly, creative, and collaborative.
* Calm and graceful under pressure, with flexibility and adaptability to rapidly changing environment, who admits mistakes quickly/openly, and is a fearless defender of our editorial integrity.
* Ability to solve problems and make decisions quickly and effectively.
* Exceptional communicator who can communicate with ease at all levels of the organization.
* Ability to provide creative direction on projects.
* Deep understanding of digital media and communications in all its forms.
* Specialized, comprehensive knowledge of standard editorial style guides, especially Associated Press and Chicago Manual styles.
* Thorough knowledge of editing PDFs and Microsoft Word, particularly the track-changes function.
* Ability to set priorities and attain goals.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
Desired Travel Less than 25%
Areas of Expertise Web Content/Editorial, Project Management, Publishing/Publications, Marketing
Highest Level of Education Master's Degree
Job Type Full Time
Location New York, NY
Years of Relevant Experience 6-9
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/x9cbmjf