Posted On: July 24, 2013
Media Organization: AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science)
AAAS is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science around the world by serving as an educator, leader, spokesperson and professional association. In addition to organizing membership activities, AAAS publishes the journal Science, as well as many scientific newsletters, books and reports, and spearheads programs that raise the bar of understanding for science worldwide.
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) seeks a Copy Editor to copy edit news and feature articles for Science magazine and its online news sites.
Major duties and responsibilities:
• Copy edit news and feature articles for Science magazine and items for Science’s daily news sites, ScienceNOW and ScienceInsider, and post HTML versions of those items
• Edit manuscripts for grammar, house style, and special nomenclature including performing copy editing online
• Fact check items in news and feature articles such as names and affiliations
• Proofread news galleys for Science magazine, incorporate authors’ and editors’ changes, and confer with production department on final changes
• Proofread online versions of Science magazine news articles before they are posted
• Copy edit articles for Science Careers
• Check figures in galleys, which may include interaction with art and production departments as well as with authors
• Troubleshoot to minimize problems before articles move into production
• Perform other work- related duties as assigned
• Extensive university or college-level training leading to a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and scientific editing experience.
• One to two years related editing experience
• Demonstrated strong copy editing and proofreading skills
• Knowledge of AP style
• Proven ability to edit technical scientific material
• Skill in the following areas is highly desirable: HTML, CSS, online publishing tools, image manipulation and optimization for the web, and experience with and understanding of audio and video files
• Demonstrated understanding of publications standards and exposure to a variety of scientific or mathematical disciplines that allow successful copy editing without changing the meaning of the author’s article
• Willingness to learn new technologies and incorporate new skills and knowledge into daily work
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Please visit our job information website http://www.aaas.org/careercenter/employmentataaas/ to get more information, and to apply to AAAS online.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.