Posted On: January 14, 2014
Media Organization: The After-School Corporation
The After-School Corporation (TASC) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing all students with expanded learning opportunities that support, educate and inspire them. In its second decade, TASC developed and is implementing ExpandED Schools, a re-invention of the traditional school day, in New York City, Baltimore and New Orleans. By giving kids in public elementary and middle schools more time and a wider range of opportunities to learn, we offer a promising way for educators and communities to redesign schools, restore arts, sports and endangered subjects and provide critical support to kids living in poverty.
Within TASC’s Policy and Research Division, the Policy Analyst will play a critical role in developing and advancing TASC’s policy agenda to expand learning opportunities for all children. The analyst will investigate existing policies that affect children’s well-being and future success, and develop solutions to increase the quality, availability, and sustainability of expanded learning opportunities at local, state, and national levels.
• Analyze existing policy and develop solutions that will support effective models for expanded learning time, in areas such as student transportation, working with children with special needs, or improving low-performing schools.
• Write about policy and practice in a variety of voices and media (e.g., memos, briefs, case studies, technical reports, and social media) to support TASC’s policy agenda.
• Coordinate technical-assistance projects involving cross-functional teams.
• Coordinate all aspects of meetings, conferences, and workshops related to policy, advocacy, and system building (e.g., scheduling, planning content, booking speakers and travel, preparing materials, and post-event follow-up).
• Design and deliver presentations at meetings and conferences, and actively participate in work groups and advisory teams as needed.
• Build and maintain meaningful working relationships with outside entities and individuals, including those working in education, youth development, related government agencies, and funding institutions.
• Other related duties, as required.
• Advanced degree with at least two years of experience or a bachelor’s degree with at least three years of experience
• Knowledge of education and public policy
• Ability to write well within deadlines, in a variety of voices and media, consulting and collaborating with TASC communications staff when necessary
• Creative thinking coupled with a sense of humor, strong interpersonal skills, and the desire to work collaboratively
• Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrated excellence in written, oral, and organizational skills
• Experience providing professional training and/or technical assistance highly desirable
• Strong research and analytic skills
• Strong computer skills: Internet-research experience and knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Willingness and ability to travel within New York City, as well as occasional statewide and national travel
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, Subject: Policy Analyst – [Candidate’s First & Last Name].
No faxes or phone calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
TASC is an Equal Opportunity Employer