Posted On: March 28, 2014
Paid Journalism Internship
Media Organization: Americas Society/Council of the Americas-Americas Quarterly magazine
Americas Quarterly: The Policy Journal for Our Hemisphere is the only magazine dedicated to policy analysis and debate of economics, finance, social development, and politics in the Western Hemisphere.
Launched in 2007, AQ reaches over 17,000 readers—high-level policymakers in Washington DC and throughout the region, top-level business men and women investing in the Americas, and new leaders in the worlds of finance, business, politics, and the media. AQ has gained a reputation as a balanced, authoritative, and accessible journal that responds to issues facing the region and brings a diverse set of key players to the table. The editorial mission is to engage a new generation of political, economic and social leaders in a discussion of future policy alternatives and to provide a forum for the exchange of ideas.
AQ Online brings timely updates to the journal in the form of Web Exclusive articles, multimedia features and daily blog posts from contributing bloggers across the hemisphere.
For over 40 years, the publishers of Americas Quarterly, Americas Society and Council of the Americas, have actively engaged in the dissemination and discussion of a policy agenda that aims to significantly influence the future of our hemisphere. We look forward to continued fresh, positive exchange on the critical topics of the day.
Americas Society and Council of the Americas (AS/COA) seek a qualified individual for an immediate paid internship in its policy program. The intern’s responsibilities will consist of: researching and writing for Americas Quarterly (AQ) print and online editions (including daily news updates); providing research and logistical support for ongoing policy initiatives; attending meetings and interacting with AS/COA members; and assisting with administrative tasks as needed. Candidates must be able to speak and write in Spanish with native-level fluency. Excellent writing and editing skills are required.
Key areas of focus during the internship will be:
• Assisting with all aspects of the production of Americas Quarterly, including correspondence with authors, supporting the editorial team and assisting with content development
• Online promotion of AQ via social media and administering uploads for the AQ website
• Assisting with research and logistics for policy initiatives such as immigration; social inclusion and natural resource extraction; security and violence; and Cuba
• Writing short pieces for Americas Quarterly
• Providing logistical support for policy events and arranging meeting details and project-related trips (agenda, hotels, outreach, etc.)
• Lending support to necessary administrative tasks
Please e-mail cover letter, resume and an English writing sample (3-5 pages) to Kate Brick at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 11th. No phone calls please.