Posted On: May 12, 2014
Media Organization: Tularan
To us, the world's artists, entrepreneurs, students, craftspeople, daredevils, survivors, and moms are more memorable than the Pyramids or Eiffel Tower. We want to change travel to focus more on the world’s people, not just places, while maintaining interaction, authenticity, and social benefit.
Tularan's website and apps empower TalkArtists from around the world to narrate their experiences and localities to visitors, and allow travelers to easily find TalkArtists by place, topic, date, and reviews. TularanTalks are interactive, quality curated, and are translated when necessary. This is the opposite of a tour guide, where a person shows you a place; for us, the place is the backdrop to illuminate people’s stories. Pilot Cities Summer 2014: NYC and London
Our fully-optimized website will launch June. For now, a simple, beta TalkArtist recruitment site is up at: www.Tularan.com
We are currently recruiting a part-time summer staff member to cultivate our TalkArtist portfolio in New York City. As a young startup, we expect our summer staff to be leaders who grow with us.
NYC TalkArtist Cultivator, Job Description
Our themes for the summer are cultural diversity and artistic innovation. TalkArtist cultivators recruit and nurture TalkArtists in their given city, and gather multimedia from their Talks to assist our marketing team. If discovering the most interesting New Yorkers you can, coaching them to interactively share their stories, and using your journalistic and multimedia skills to spread the word sounds to you like an exhilarating job, we look forward to reading your application.
Qualifications. The ideal candidate…
• Is adventurous, professional, autodidactic, journalistic, sympathetic, critical.
• Must be NYC-savvy, be located in NYC for the summer, and have a reasonably flexible schedule.
• Loves experiencing diverse people and their stories, and can strike up an (interesting) conversation with nearly anyone, anywhere…and listen.
• Possesses experience managing teams and events – doesn’t buckle under pressure, and can reliably get things done on her or his own.
• Can write highly interesting stories for the blog like a budding New York-quality journalist
• Can handle intermediate photography, multimedia capture and editing. Has access to own equipment. Willing to learn on the go.
• Understands startups. Our office is in Washington, DC, so the position requires autonomy and proactive communication.
• Optional: Would be interested in being a TalkArtist his or herself.
• The expected weekly commitment is fifteen hours, starting ASAP lasting until early August. Successful summer staff may be offered further opportunities, given startup success.
Please send a resume with relevant experience, cover letter addressing qualifications, and a sample of your work (anything: online portfolio or blog, video of a talk, link to an organization you help managed, copy of a relevant essay, etc.) to email@example.com ASAP (position will be filled quickly), but by May 30th at the latest. Include “Tularan Application” in the subject line of the email.