Posted On: May 28, 2014
Media Organization: Scholastic Scope Magazine
We are a group of talented, passionate, and energetic journalists and editors who create a best-selling, award-winning, and beloved language-arts magazine for middle schoolers. Don’t be thrown by the words language arts or middle school. Above all, we create unforgettable, important journalistic stories on a wide range of fascinating topics—stories designed to thrill, inspire, and (sometimes) outrage our young readers. And that’s just half of what we do. To make this incredible content useful in a classroom, we also create videos, lesson plans, activities, and much more. The package we deliver to classrooms is all teachers need to develop their students as readers, writers, and critical thinkers.
We are looking for a creative and determined writer and editor who would like to participate in all phases of creating our beautiful resource.
• Writing high-impact narrative-nonfiction (longform) stories
• Editing stories and departments
• Pitching story ideas
• Writing some of the teaching materials that accompany articles
• Helping develop videos, including script writing and producing
• Working closely with fellow editors, designers, production teams, and web developers
• Proven nonfiction writing skills, especially longform
• Top-notch editing skills
• Proven ability to work on a team
• Keen interest in learning everything and anything about middle-school education and children
• Curious nature
• A flexible work style
• Highly developed organizational skills
• A positive, can-do approach to work—and life
Preferred skills and experience (not required):
• Working knowledge of InDesign
• Experience in web production
• Experience in video production
• Copy editing and proofreading
• Experience in education or educational publishing
We are open to candidates with varying levels of work experience. Salary will be competitive, commensurate with experience, with generous benefits package.
Send your cover letter, résumé, and up to three of your best clips to email@example.com.