Posted On: July 22, 2014
Media Organization: Rainforest Alliance
The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers. For more information, please visit http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/about.
Title: Communications & Media Outreach Associate
Unit: Communications, Marketing & Education
Subunit: Communications & Marketing
Reports to: Sr. Manager Global Media Strategy
Location: New York, NY
The Communications & Media Outreach Associate will be responsible for media outreach in North America related to Rainforest Alliance events, newsworthy achievements and global media outreach. S/he will cultivate and follow up with journalists and bloggers, field media inquiries, write and distribute press releases, organize and support media events and in collaboration with Sr. Manager Global Media Strategy, plan integrated and effective media strategies. S/he will also be responsible for the Rainforest Alliance’s Twitter account and collaborating with colleagues on other social media channels.
• Spearhead media outreach related to Rainforest Alliance news, achievements, research results and special events, ensuring that communications colleagues globally have the information needed for effective media outreach;
• Work with division, program and partner staff in order to gather needed data, quotes and visual support;
• Research, write, proofread and edit press releases and ensure their effective dissemination;
• Cultivate and reach out to targeted journalists;
• Craft pitches and media advisories and handle distribution and follow-up;
• Respond to and field media inquires and handle appropriate follow-up, including arranging interviews with program colleagues and the executive management staff;
• Organize and lead media trips to origin;
• Monitor online comments related to the Rainforest Alliance and respond when appropriate;
• Review and edit press releases in English drafted by businesses that are collaborating with the Rainforest Alliance to promote our mission;
• Manage NA Twitter account and keep abreast of social networking tools and trends and contribute to the development and execution of integrated content strategy; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required in Communications, English or related field;
• A minimum of 4 years experience in journalism or public information and media outreach, including at least 3 years directly working with journalists;
• Minimum of 3 years conducting outreach through social media;
• Excellent writer and strong public speaker;
• Strong written and spoken Spanish skills a plus;
• Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions on day-to-day tactical questions;
• Strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate and manage all details around the planning of media events and trips independently with limited direction;
• Strong interest and some experience in biodiversity conservation issues;
• Must be a go-getter, energetically pursing media leads;
• Must have excellent computer skills and comfort working with database programs;
• Ability to work within a team structure as well as independently; and
• Must be creative, take initiative, be attentive to detail and possess excellent interpersonal communication skills.
This position may oversee staff
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply online at https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=10130311. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.