Posted On: July 22, 2014
Media Organization: Rita Allen Foundation
The Rita Allen Foundation invests in transformative ideas in their earliest stages to leverage their growth and promote breakthrough solutions to significant problems.
The Rita Allen Foundation invests in ideas in their earliest stages, promoting breakthrough solutions to significant problems in science and society. For the past five years, with new resources and new leadership, the Foundation has been taking on new investments as well as helping to strengthen the field of strategic philanthropy. We are now seeking a creative and versatile writer, editor and digital storyteller to play a key role in our vision for the future. In addition to creating the day-to-day communications that form the framework of our work, you will play a central role in revamping the Foundation’s online presence and in developing ideas-driven content with multimedia elements. You will use your fresh talent and creative perspective to help spread awareness of the Foundation’s work and that of the vibrant, emerging leaders in science and society we support.
What You’ll Do
• You’ll create written and multimedia content, including news features, blog posts, our (electronic) annual reports, newsletters, and resources for emerging scientists and organizations. Topics covered may include a Rita Allen Foundation Scholar’s pioneering research on the role of macrophages in brain cancer; a supported organization’s efforts to engage wider audiences in investigative journalism; or a new partnership among foundations to bring greater transparency to philanthropy.
• You’ll lead and maintain a reworking of the Foundation’s online presence, including our website and our social media presence.
• You’ll help shape the voice of the Foundation, and you’ll help the young leaders we support shape theirs.
Who You Are
• You are an excellent writer. You can quickly adapt your style to different audiences and platforms and will excel at writing a compelling profile, a clear report, a touching note or a witty tweet while maintaining the Foundation’s central voice.
• You get excited about science, data and civic dialogue, and about how they connect with communications. You love telling the stories of the people behind discoveries and advancements—and helping them tell their own.
• You delight in today’s technology and have a knack for using it wisely. Whether it be on a phone, on a computer or in the cloud, you’re always finding new ways for technology to help engage an audience in substantive conversations about complex issues.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All individuals are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and indicate “Communications Position” in the subject line.