Posted On: September 15, 2014
Media Organization: Newzulu Ltd
Newzulu.us is a revolutionary, crowd-sourced newswire service, based primarily on freelance journalism, as well as eyewitness and social content from around the globe. We verify stories from over 100,000 contributors in 150 countries.
We are looking for someone to head the outreach and cultivation of a thriving community of news contributors in LA.
The primary responsibilities of the Newzulu NY Weekend Editor will be to:
1. Fact-check and verify to the highest journalistic standards incoming story submissions from contributors on weekends.
2. Repackage stories for our wire partners and media clients including video editing skills.
3. Manage the dynamic US community of Newzulu contributors (Newzulu.us) and expand it exponentially.
4. Helping to establish Newzulu as the US’s premier freelance journalism platform.
This role will work with the Newzulu.us Managing Editor as well as the Newzulu Global Editor-in-Chief, based in Paris as well as the global network of Newzulu weekend editors.
Daily tasks and desired qualities include, but are not limited to:
* Editorial and strategic management of the Newzulu.us site as well as Newzulu Wire
* Strong editorial skills: Reviewing, validating and publishing contributions (photos, videos and articles) on-the-fly, identifying and designating contributions with high news value
* Basic video filming/editing skills a plus
* Highly connected to the daily and long-term news agenda in the US and reactiveness to news stories as they break/unfold; issuing “Newscalls” to contributors and finding new potential contributors
* Collaborate with media sales team of our partner newswires and the Newzulu Paris team to ensure that contributions are published as quickly as possible, distributed and sold on the broadest possible basis in the US and abroad
* Management of a creative and buzz-worthy social media presence
* Be a model Newzulu contributor, by submitting interesting and well-produced stories on a regular basis
* Impeccable English spelling and grammar, intermediate level Spanish, French and other languages a plus
The ideal candidate for this position is a high-level energy journalist-entrepreneur hybrid. We're looking for someone with a passion for citizen journalism and news innovation, who has incredibly dynamic vibe, is a self-starter, creative achiever and problem-solver.
The candidate must have a sharp news sense and be able to sniff out good stories from a mile away. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a must. You must be meticulous about your work and have a background that reflects competence in visual journalism.
We'd like to hear from candidates with a Bachelor's degree or higher with a proven track record of excellence in content contribution and working under pressure with rockstar social media community management skills.
THIS JOB IS BASED IN NEW YORK, USA.
A week-long training period in New York will be required.
Please use NEWZULU NY WEEKEND EDITOR as your subject line
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use "NEWZULU NY WEEKEND EDITOR" as your subject line.
All strong candidates will be contacted.