Posted On: September 26, 2014
Paid Journalism Internship
Media Organization: Vocativ
Vocativ is a new media company using proprietary technology and methodologies to uncover information no other news organization can. The company launched in October 2013, for the global Digital Generation of people in their 20s and 30s.
The company’s unique technology aggregates and analyzes open-source data from across the Deep Web — the 80% of the Internet un-indexed by search engines. Think Big Data for journalism. A team of analysts and data scientists sits on top of this technology, inside of our newsroom and alongside a team of top reporters, writers, videographers, producers, editors and developers. Vocativ taps into the world of raw, vital information hidden in the digital realm, which until now, no news organization has had the ability to reach, let alone understand.
This new type of newsgathering allows Vocativ to cut through the spin and the echo-chamber of aggregated, non-differentiated storytelling. We introduce our audience to people, ideas and trends they'd otherwise never see, with
The Data Analyst intern will support the data science team at Vocativ, working on collecting, structuring, analyzing and visualizing data to tell beautiful data driven newsworthy stories. The intern will work on a political index project with one of our data editors / scientists and will have major responsibility in publishing the story.
• Research of different sources to find relevant data sets.
• Collecting data using different techniques and Vocativ’s proprietary technology.
• Analyzing and identifying patterns in the data in order to come up with newsworthy insights.
• Working with our staff to shape data into beautiful and informative stories. Visualize and communicate your insights and methods to our audience in a compelling way.
Skills and Experience:
• Journalism MS degree (In progress or completed)
• Coursework in applied mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science or Engineering a plus.
• Knowledge of statistical methods in area of modeling and analytics.
• Ability to work hands on with large scale data sets and databases, and ability to pull stories or newsworthy topics from the data.
• Great communication skills and team player
Please send resume, brief cover letter, and data work samples to Eliza Bowling, HR Generalist, at email@example.com