Posted On: March 11, 2015
Media Organization: Department of Education
The New York City school system is the largest in the country, composed of approximately 1.1 million students and 75,000+ teachers in over 1,700+ schools. The DOE seeks to ensure that all students graduate college and career ready. The Research and Policy Support Group (RPSG) is at the center of that effort by ensuring that DOE policymakers have access to sound and timely research, analytics, and program evaluations. RPSG is responsible for promoting the DOE’s long-term policy and research agenda. As part of this role, RPSG conducts its own research and program evaluations as well as serves as a bridge between the DOE and external research parties.
RPSG is currently conducting an evaluation of the Middle School Quality Initiative (MSQI). The initiative is guided by a vision for literacy reform described in the Carnegie Reading Next Report and put into practice by a team of committed and experienced literacy leaders in New York City.
More details can be found on the MSQI website.
RPSG is seeking an evaluation report writer to develop the annual MSQI program evaluation report. The report writer will develop the report from March-June, 2015.
• Serve as the primary author of the MSQI evaluation report
• Submit fully developed report sections on a scheduled timeline to be determined
• Produce a formal qualitative data analysis plan at the start
• Serve as the primary analyst for all qualitative data
• Work closely with a quantitative analyst to ensure that report narrative and data visualization are aligned
• Proven record of authoring evaluation reports and/or published papers
• Experience in the field of education, specifically middle school literacy preferred
• Qualitative research experience
• Experience with qualitative data analysis software
• Self-directed and able to work independently
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Interpersonal skills in dealing with internal and external stakeholders
• Graduate degree with a concentration in social science or education research
Please email cover letter and resume to RPSGresearch@schools.nyc.gov and include “MSQI Report Writer” in the subject line.