Posted On: April 22, 2015
Media Organization: Countable
Countable is an app and web based civic engagement platform, connecting the average busy person to what’s happening in Congress. We offer concise, timely summaries of upcoming federal legislation. Users can easily find and review proposed bills and offer their personal vote directly to their elected officials. With the help of our Contributing Writers, we take the legal jargon out of upcoming legislation, and offer easy-to-understand summaries that the public can follow and engage with.
After almost a year of working with federal legislation, we are expanding into local legislation in San Francisco and New York City. We are looking for writers to focus on this new area of service.
If you are a voracious consumer of local politics who cares deeply about how changes in your city affect your community, this position may be right for you!
We are looking for writers in New York City or San Francisco areas with a demonstrated knowledge of the local political scene and the ability to meet with local experts, politicians, journalists, and community members.
You will be working through the legal jargon in legislative texts, parsing out the true meaning of local bills and writing summaries using language that the average person can understand. (Please see the federal bill summaries currently posted in our app as an example.)
We are looking for people who care about:
- Addressing the wide gaps in civic engagement across the country
- The lack of influence most people in the U.S. have in the political decision making process
- Holding elected officials accountable for their actions and to their constituents
- Transparency in government
WE WANT DIVERSE VOICES.
People with diverse life experiences and viewpoints are eagerly encouraged to apply. We need everyone to participate in order for our democracy to be strong and vibrant.
- Solid experience in journalism, editing, and/or legislative writing.
- Ability to represent political issues in a neutral, unbiased tone in a way that will engage a diverse political and demographic audience.
- Proven ability to carefully check facts, proofread your own work, and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated high standards for fairness, thoroughness and accurate citations.
This is a flexible part-time contractor role (~20 hours/week) with potential for growth as Countable moves forward into more localities and state legislation. Writing assignments will be distributed based on upcoming bills. Contributing writers are also encouraged to stay current on upcoming legislation and propose relevant writing assignments.
- Your resume and/or LinkedIn URL
- Your favorite relevant writing samples. We are looking for examples demonstrating political expertise and an engaging writing style.
- Link to your Countable profile, if you have one
- And other relevant materials
Please include answers to the following questions in your cover letter:
1. What is your prior experience with journalism/editing/legislative writing?
2. Why do you want to work with Countable?
3. What is your interest in local politics, and why?
Be as brief or lengthy as you would like — we can’t wait to hear from you!