Posted On: April 21, 2015
Paid Journalism Internship
Media Organization: mental_floss magazine
mental_floss delivers an eclectic, educational mix of fascinating stories, addictive lists, and entertaining quizzes across a variety of platforms, including a National Magazine Award–nominated print magazine (published 9 times a year), a website that sees 10 million visitors a month, and a YouTube channel with more than 1 million subscribers.
mental_floss magazine is seeking an Editorial Fellow. This is an incredible opportunity to learn the ins and outs of print magazine publishing first-hand by joining small, hard-working, fun-having team.
Primary responsibilities include brainstorming, pitching, and writing stories; conducting copious amounts of research; and helping with a variety of print production and administrative tasks.
The position pays $12 an hour, and is based in our midtown Manhattan office. We require a commitment of three days a week for a minimum of 12 weeks.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO IS:
· an excellent writer, who innately understands the mental_floss tone and sensibility
· a creative, thorough, and self-sufficient researcher—able to come up empty-handed in a Google search and still, heroically, find the information another way!
· incredibly attentive to detail, proactive, and excited to learn new things
· passionate about print and the types of stories we tell at mental_floss
TO APPLY SEND US A NOTE THAT HELPS US GET TO KNOW YOU BETTER. (SEND US YOUR RESUMÉ TOO.) Email Jessanne Collins (email@example.com)
· What was your favorite class or subject in school. What fact sticks with you from it?
· What skills and prior work experience do you bring to this position?
· Why do you want to work on a print magazine? And why mental_floss?
· What are three stories you’d like to write for us?