Posted On: May 20, 2015
Media Organization: American Civil Liberties Union
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than a million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability or national origin.
The Communications Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York City invites applications for the full-time position of Communications/Online Marketing Manager.
In the past year, the ACLU has introduced a dedicated Marketing Unit within the Communications Department. The Marketing Unit is responsible for promoting the ACLU’s mission and its brand through the media, web communications, publications, multi-faceted campaigns, events and special projects. In addition to building a stronger and more consistent organizational image, the Unit is also focused on building loyalty between the institution and its various stakeholders. The Communications/Online Marketing Manager will be primarily responsible for managing and marketing the ACLU’s newly launched online store. In addition, the Online Marketing Manager will contribute to the development of other related projects undertaken by the Unit. The position reports to the Associate Director for Communications/Marketing.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manage aclu.org/shop, track performance and grow online revenue.
• Work collaboratively with the Digital, ACLU Action, Communications, and Membership teams as well as aclu.org/shop vendors to increase store visibility, merchandise revenue, supporter engagement, and membership.
• Monitor current events and assist with implementation of quick response merchandising and visual commerce strategies.
• Collaborate with designers, artists, photographers, technicians and ACLU staff to develop new products and product lines for the online store. Create related marketing materials and maintain store web pages.
• Actively seek product placement opportunities to increase visibility and effectively communicate ACLU's brand.
• Manage the online store budget;
• inventory movement/reconciliation, merchandise reorders and internal merchandise requests.
• Develop and review metrics to assess the effectiveness of marketing efforts related to merchandise and publications; develop appropriate strategic marketing plans.
• Plan and implement activities and events, including tradeshows, exhibitions, and other opportunities to increase store visibility and strengthen ACLU-brand awareness.
• Develop and sustain brand identity through social media outlets, search engine optimization, search engine marketing, social commerce and other new media opportunities.
• Collaborate with Affiliate Support staff to ensure brand cohesion across ACLU state affiliate groups/offices, including developing a new internal Affiliate online merchandise site.
• Identify new opportunities to promote the ACLU brand through social media and other online tools.
• Staff internal and external marketing events as needed.
• Produce and post marketing content online (including for the ACLU website and social media) and through ACLU email lists.
• Maintain and update vendor lists.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s degree in Marketing and a minimum of three years professional public relations or marketing experience required. Online retail experience required and some nonprofit experience preferred.
• Experience in a fast-paced work environment.
• Excellent communication skills; verbal and writing.
• Experience with a range of social media and social media marketing tools.
• Ability to work independently as well as within a team.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to interact with outside vendors and across organizational departments.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines while demonstrating grace under pressure.
• Excellent computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Excellent Internet and general research skills preferred.
• Interest in civil liberties and civil rights and experience with advocacy campaigns preferred.
• Demonstrated commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
Please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to hrjobsCOMM@aclu.org - ReferenceCOMM-43/NYU] in the subject line.
Please indicate where you learned of this career opportunity. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. This posting provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the posting at any time without advance notice.