Posted On: June 8, 2015
Media Organization: Democracy Now! Productions
Democracy Now! is a non-profit news organization based in NYC. We produce a daily TV & Radio newscast that is carried by more than 1,300 stations worldwide. Our website democracynow.org gets tens of millions of page views annually and we have more than a million followers across social media platforms. Everyone who works at Democracy Now! is committed to creating and distributing high quality independent news – it’s a great place to work.
Democracy Now! seeks an experienced producer/journalist to join our team as a Senior News Producer. This person will help shape editorial for the newscast and website, lead afternoon production activities for our daily TV & radio broadcast and line produce for the newscast as needed. S/he will have impeccable news judgment, be an avid news consumer, thrive in the fast pace of live daily news, be an excellent writer and copyeditor for broadcast and web, have a good eye for editorial visuals, work well in a team and have a passion for Democracy Now! and independent news. S/he should also have a good sense of humor and work well in a team.
This position includes some shifts starting at 6:00am ET and occasional travel.
* Help shape editorial vision for broadcast and digital platforms
* Research and pitch stories and headlines
* Write and edit scripts under deadline
* Identify, research, book & pre-interview guests
* Select compelling audio, video and graphics to enhance stories
* Provide show briefs to hosts, producers and crew
* Edit content for web and post stories to website
* Curate featured content on website
* Follow news developments throughout the day
* Help maintain editorial calendar
* Line produce for 8am broadcast as needed
* 5+ years journalism or news producing experience
* Impeccable news judgment
* Well acquainted with Democracy Now! content
* Live broadcast news experience strongly preferred
* Avid global and domestic news consumer
* Excellent writing and copyediting skills
* Proven ability to work under deadline
* Strong communication and collaboration skills
* Experience with content management systems
* Knowledge of SEO best practices
* Familiarity with social media
* Ability to multi-task in a fast paced news environment
This full-time New York City-based position with competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Democracy Now! is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position will be filled as soon as possible. The review of applications will be on a rolling basis starting June 15, 2015. To apply, submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Senior News Producer”. No phone calls.
* A complete chronological resume, including dates of employment
* A portfolio link or work sample
* The names and contact information for two references
* A cover letter that addresses the following points
1. Why are you a good fit for this position?
2. How did you discover Democracy Now!?
3. Where did you hear about this position?