Posted On: June 8, 2015
Media Organization: Democracy Now! Productions
Democracy Now! is a non-profit news organization based in NYC. We produce a daily TV & Radio newscast that is carried by more than 1,300 stations worldwide. Our website democracynow.org gets tens of millions of page views annually and we have more than a million followers across social media platforms. Everyone who works at Democracy Now! is committed to creating and distributing high quality independent news – it’s a great place to work.
Democracy Now! seeks a creative and driven social media maven with a strong news background and analytics orientation to lead our online engagement efforts. This person will be responsible for the strategy and implementation of social distribution and engagement for Democracy Now! on a daily basis. She/he will tailor and supplement daily news and breaking news content for distribution on established and emerging social and digital platforms, be knowledgeable and up-to-date about new strategies and digital innovations in online news distribution, thrive in a fast-paced deadline-driven daily news environment, and be passionate about expanding the audience for Democracy Now!’s news content and supporting its non-commercial, independent news mission.
The workday begins at 7:00am ET, to coincide with the live daily TV & radio newscast at 8:00am ET.
* Lead development and implementation of Democracy Now!’s engagement strategy
* Use social platforms to attract new audience and increase engagement and loyalty
* Tailor and supplement news content for social distribution
* Monitor social media, trending news items and analytics to identify and maximize viral opportunities
* Develop and maintain standards and best practices for social publishing
* Leverage social platforms to promote special programming, events and fundraising campaigns
* Identify and refine effective publishing strategies through content testing, research, and monitoring of current and emerging practices and strategies
* Coordinate with guests and organizations featured on the program to promote their appearances on social platforms
* Identify strategic opportunities for community outreach to enhance news content and increase engagement and loyalty
* Recruit, supervise and mentor interns
* Engage in strategic online outreach to influencers, publishers, journalists and organizations to promote news content
* Provide monthly benchmark reports on social audience and engagement
* 3-5 years experience with proven results in social media and digital journalism
* Deep knowledge of core social channels including Facebook, Twitter & YouTube
* Experience managing social presence and engagement strategy for a news outlet with comparable reach preferred
* Passion for news and commitment to the mission of Democracy Now!
* Strong copywriting and editing skills, detail oriented, and can meet daily deadlines
* Experience with CMS publishing, analytics platforms, A/B testing
* Creative, flexible and comfortable with the pressures of a live news environment
* SEO and content strategy experience a plus
* Video/audio/image editing, knowledge of HTML and SEO and content strategy experience a plus
This full-time New York City-based position with competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Democracy Now! is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position will be filled as soon as possible. The review of applications will be on a rolling basis starting June 15, 2015. To apply, submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Engagement Editor”. No phone calls.
* A complete chronological resume, including dates of employment
* The names and contact information for two references
* A cover letter that addresses the following points
1. Why are you a good fit for this position?
2. Describe a successful social media initiative that you’ve lead.
3. How did you discover Democracy Now!?
4. Where did you hear about this position?