Posted On: July 31, 2015
Media Organization: mental_floss magazine
mental_floss magazine is where knowledge junkies get their fix. An eclectic mix of gripping stories, addictive trivia, and hilarious facts, we help our readers "feel smart again" with an unforgettable magazine experience. We cover everything you can imagine: History, science, literature, medicine, sociology, philosophy, the Mutant Ninja Turtles. You name it. We'll find a story to tell.
mental_floss magazine is looking for an editorial fellow for our print magazine.
Primary responsibilities include brainstorming, pitching, and writing stories; conducting copious amounts of research; and helping with a variety of print production and administrative tasks—some of them extremely glamorous, some of them a little less so.
The position pays $12 an hour, and is based in our midtown Manhattan office. We require a commitment of three days a week for a minimum of 12 weeks.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO IS:
· an excellent writer, who innately understands the mental_floss tone and sensibility
· a creative, thorough, and self-sufficient researcher—able to come up empty-handed in a Google search and still, heroically, find the information another way! Someone who is happy to explore the coffers of a library or database to find the stories nobody has told.
· incredibly attentive to detail, proactive, and excited to learn new things
· passionate about print and the types of stories we tell at mental_floss
TO APPLY SEND US A NOTE THAT HELPS US GET TO KNOW YOU BETTER. (SEND US YOUR RESUMÉ TOO.) TELL US:
· What was your favorite class or subject in school. What fact sticks with you from it?
· What skills and prior work experience do you bring to this position?
· Why do you want to work on a print magazine? And why mental_floss?
· What are three stories you’d like to write for us?
YOU CAN REACH US AT:
Please include “magazine fellow” in the subject line.