Posted On: August 31, 2015
Media Organization: School Library Journal (Mediasource, Inc.)
School Library Journal is a monthly publication for school and public youth services librarians. SLJ is the largest reviewer of books, multimedia, and technology for children and teens. School Library Journal readers include library professionals from school and public libraries, as well as educators from preschool to high school, and publishers and vendors with an interest in serving children and young adults. They rely on our publications, events, and research to help navigate the challenges facing their respective institutions, and provide relevant materials and services their communities need.
Position: Book Room Assistant, School Library Journal (SLJ)
Reports to: Editor, SLJ Reviews
Location: New York, NY
School Library Journal, the leading independent publication serving school and youth services librarians, based in New York City, with monthly print and daily and weekly web products, seeks a part time Book Room Assistant. SLJ has an active Book Room, with thousands of books arriving for review consideration every year. This entry level position is ideal for those looking to build their resume, get an insider's view into magazine editing and production, and exposure to new and upcoming children's and young adult books.
The Book Room Assistant will:
· Open and sort newly arrived books
· Log bibliographic information into SLJ’s database
· Mail review copies to SLJ reviewers
· Update information in database
· Work with the book review editors on various tasks and projects as needed
· Undergraduate or graduate student in the field of Library Science, English, Journalism, or other relevant field
· Ability to work approximately 20-25 hours per week
· Responsible, reliable, and detail-oriented
· Basic understanding of bibliographic data
· Knowledge of children’s and young adult literature a plus
· Familiarity with cloud-based applications, such as Google Drive.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email cover letter and resume to Kiera Parrott (email@example.com)