Posted On: January 8, 2016
Media Organization: Leo Baeck Institute
The Leo Baeck Institute (LBI) is a research organization preserving and promoting the history and culture of German-speaking Jews. LBI is a founding partner of the Center for Jewish History (15 W. 16th St. in Manhattan), where it maintains an archive with over 3 million documents, 80,000 books, 25,000 photographs, and 8,000 works of art and other artifacts. These collections document in utmost detail the lives and accomplishments of German-speaking Jews during the modern era. The broad range of papers and documents of individuals and families provide insight into the daily lives of Jews as a part of German society
Leo Baeck Institute is hiring a part-time assistant to support the Institute’s efforts to communicate with its existing constituency as well as to expand its supporter base through engaging public programming. The assistant/intern will provide both editorial and technical support in the production of the Institute’s tri-annual Newsletter, LBI News, as well as its website, social media presence, and fundraising collateral. The position may also support efforts to publicize the institute’s public programming through targeted outreach to local institutions (especially congregations, universities, and cultural organizations) and by pursuing advance media coverage and event listings.
- Researching and writing engaging content about the projects, people, and collections at the institute for the Institute’s publications
- Assisting with the graphic design and layout of print and online content
- Copyediting and proofreading final products
- Creating, distributing, and following up on event invitations and press releases
- Supporting email and social media marketing efforts
*Skills and Experience*
Excellent research, writing, and communication skills will be essential for this position.
- Excellent command of English grammar and style required.
- Reading knowledge of German required.
- Excellent copyediting and proofreading skills required
- Interest, training, or experience in journalism, creative non-fiction writing, or public relations desired
- Interest, training, or experience in German history, Jewish studies, or library science desired
- Familiarity with religious, community, cultural, and educational institutions in New York City whose constituencies and missions overlap with the diverse programming of LBI desired
- Familiarity with local media, especially Jewish media desired
- Public relations or media relations experience desired
An ideal candidate will also be able to support the production of our print and electronic publications. Familiarity with—or a willingness to learn— some of the following print and online publishing tools will also be an important part of the job.
- Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- Photography and video editing
- Social media outreach, including paid advertising
Send resume, cover letter, and writing samples to David Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.