Posted On: June 6, 2016
Media Organization: Nature Publishing Group
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
We are looking for a Chief Careers Editor for the journal Nature, to lead a small team in building a vibrant digital hub of editorial content that furthers the careers of scientists at all stages of their careers.
The Chief Careers Editor will be a natural innovator who thrives online. You will have significant experience in senior roles in scientific publishing and editing, with a proven track record managing teams of editors and writers.
You will oversee the creation of editorially independent content focusing on research career trends and issues, and enabling researchers in their day-to-day work. This content will be published online and in Nature’s print magazine, and might include service features, Q&As, how-to videos, personal essays, expert columns, advice columns, obituaries, announcements.
Your team will also curate relevant content to an online Careers hub designed to enhance the lives and careers of working scientists.
This role will also involve overseeing independently executed but commercially driven (such as sponsored) content for the hub and guiding a lively blog updating researchers on news in the career sector.
The Chief Careers Editor will also participate in the organization of Nature Careers Expos, helping to develop panel ideas and source speakers
Experience, skills and qualifications:
• Strong, demonstrated writing and editing background; demonstrated ability to manage editorial teams; demonstrated ability to work with digital product teams to develop and execute on content strategies in a fast-paced environment; a university degree in science or the equivalent preferred
• Significant experience in science journalism. Demonstrated ability to deftly edit to high journalistic standards in engaging but sophisticated terms for scientist audiences, to be creative, energetic and able to work to tight deadlines.
• Strong interest in, and understanding of, the lives of working scientists and the challenges they face as they pursue their careers and navigate their day-to-day jobs
• Attention to detail and accuracy, strong organizational skills
• Ability to work independently, effectively and collegially with others across varied teams
• Comfort with and experience of working in a commercial editorial environment preferable
Applicants must have an existing right to live and work in the country they wish to work in. The level of appointment will be commensurate with experience.
Please apply at: