Posted On: June 8, 2016
Media Organization: Democracy Now! Productions Inc.
Democracy Now! is a non-profit news organization based in NYC. We produce a daily TV & Radio newscast that is carried by nearly 1,400 stations worldwide. Our website democracynow.org gets tens of millions of page views annually and we have more than a million followers across social media platforms. Everyone who works at Democracy Now! is committed to creating and distributing high quality independent news – it’s a great place to work.
Democracy Now! seeks an experienced video producer to join our team as a Senior TV Producer.
The Senior TV Producer will shoot and edit video packages under tight deadlines, play video packages out to air during the live broadcast, help shape visual direction and editorial for the newscast and website, and play a lead technical role in field productions. S/he will have rock solid field shooting, editing, lighting and audio skills, impeccable news judgment, be an avid news consumer, thrive in the fast pace of live daily news, work well in a team and have a passion for Democracy Now! and independent news. S/he should also have a good sense of humor and work well in a team.
This position includes shifts starting before 6:00am ET and occasional travel.
• Prepare video packages and visual elements for newscast and website
• Produce, shoot and edit field packages
• Play out video packages to air during live broadcasts
• Identify graphic elements for production
• Pitch stories, headlines and guests
• Monitor and maintain high visual standards for broadcast and website
• Provide supervision and mentorship for TV Video News Fellowship program
• Edit long-form pieces
• Cross train in live production roles
• Liaise with stringers on development and delivery of packages for broadcast
• Lead long-form editing and DVD mastering to support public TV and radio fundraising
• Follow news developments throughout the day and monitor news wires
• Book remote studios and production facilities
• Other duties as needed
• 5+ years video producing experience
• Expert in shooting on ENG cameras and non-linear editing
• Experience with Adobe Premier and After Effects strongly preferred
• Proven ability to shoot and edit packages on tight deadlines
• Well versed in field audio and lighting
• Strong visual story telling skills and impeccable news judgment
• Thrives in high pressure production environments
• Adept at transmitting and transcoding video
• Well acquainted with Democracy Now! content
• Live broadcast news experience strongly preferred
• Avid global and domestic news consumer
• Strong communication and collaboration skills
• Experience with content management systems and familiarity with video trends for social media preferred
This is a full-time New York City-based position with competitive compensation and a generous benefits package. Democracy Now! is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position starts in August 2016. The review of applications will be on a rolling basis starting June 15, 2016.
To apply please submit the following at http://www.democracynow.org/about/jobs/newsproducer#op-123180-senior-tv-producer :
-A complete chronological resume, including dates of employment
-A portfolio link or work sample (please indicate what your specific role was in each piece submitted)
-The names and contact information for two references
-A cover letter that addresses the following points
1. Why are you a good fit for this position?
2. How did you discover Democracy Now!?
3. What story should we be covering that we are not?
No phone calls.