Posted On: May 4, 2018
Media Organization: Doris Duke Charitable Foundation
The mission of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation is to improve the quality of people's lives through grants supporting the performing arts, environmental conservation, medical research and child well-being, and through preservation of the cultural and environmental legacy of Doris Duke's properties. For more information, please visit www.ddcf.org.
Title: Communications Intern (non-credit internship)
Location: 650 Fifth Ave., 19th floor, New York, NY
Reports to: Communications Director
FLSA Status: Temporary - Part Time – Non-Exempt
This is a paid and flexible, part-time internship reporting to the Communications Director, whose office is located at 650 Fifth Avenue, 19th Floor, New York, NY 10019.
The Communications Intern will provide holistic communications and administrative support to the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation’s Communications Team. This person will participate in support tasks for all of the foundation’s public relations, marketing, internal and grantee communications, media monitoring, content creation, design projects, social media and website maintenance. In addition to working with the Communications Director, the Intern will work closely with the Communications Associate and the Executive Assistant to the President and Board Liaison, as well as other foundation staff. The Intern will gain a close understanding of the processes of the Communications Team in addition to in-depth exposure to the foundation’s work overall.
• Monitor media coverage related to the foundation’s staff and trustees, programs, awards, activities and grantees, and draft concise summaries of recent news for internal circulation.
• Assist with updates to the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation website by drafting and uploading content through the site’s content management system.
• Assist in the development of new content for the “Grantee Spotlight” section of the foundation’s website, which may require conducting research, interviewing foundation colleagues and/or grantees, and writing.
• Perform longer-term research projects on topics including, but not limited to, trends in website/homepage aesthetics and structure, and communications-related contractors and vendors.
• Proofread press materials and website content, and ensure their adherence to the foundation’s in-house style guide.
• Perform vital research for public relations projects, including sourcing media contacts for focused outreach on key foundation initiatives.
• Assist in the development and monitoring of content for the foundation’s social media presence.
• Provide general administrative support to the Communications Team, including occasional copying, creating reports, taking meeting notes, generating meeting minutes, and coordinating schedules for small and large meetings as required.
• Assist in managing photo shoots and selecting photography to complement editorial content.
• Participate in meetings to develop communications strategies that help advance programmatic and institutional goals.
Please send resumes with cover letters to email@example.com. Attach or provide links to three writing samples.
Include your last name followed by “Communications Intern” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until May 14, 2018.