Posted On: March 15, 2019
Media Organization: The Museum of Modern Art
Established in 1929, The Museum of Modern Art is the world’s preeminent institution dedicated to the art of our time. With a dynamic exhibition program and one of the world’s largest collections of modern and contemporary art, MoMA bridges the past and present, the established and the experimental, bringing new ideas to over three million onsite visitors per year—and many more millions in the digital realm. We offer an exciting, inclusive work environment for innovative, talented individuals who are eager to take part in MoMA’s mission, responding to new ideas and initiatives with insight, imagination, and intelligence.
- Works with the director of Editorial and Content Strategy, the managing editor, and other colleagues on the Creative Team, participating in the planning of the Museum's content program.
- Works with colleagues across the Museum to develop compelling storylines for a wide variety of writing and content projects and oversee execution.
- Serves as a writing mentor for MoMA colleagues in developing text for many contexts, including those produced in relation to exhibitions, collection works, and acquisitions.
- Organizes a program of regular workshops within the Museum to focus on the craft of writing across different platforms.
- Conducts research to develop content programs and initiatives.
- Manages the workflow of individual content initiatives as assigned, including budget and timelines.
- Creates and produces creative, impactful content.
- Develops and revises protocols and best-practices guidelines for writing and content production at the Museum.
- Serves as active producer/correspondent for individual content projects as assigned, including writing and researching as relevant and/or participating in other ways (conducting interviews, hosting audio, etc.).
- Encourages relationships with talented outside writers, both established and emerging.
- Works closely with authors and freelance contributors on individual writing and content projects to ensure high quality and timely deliveries.
- Bachelor’s degree and eight or more years progressive experience with proven track record of writing and editorial work in the cultural sector
- Strong knowledge of the arts
- Superior writing, research, and editorial skills, with demonstrated record of accomplishment at highest level of achievement
- Experience teaching and/or coaching writing is imperative.
Familiarity with workflow for print and digital publications and for video and audio production
- Demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of English-language editing
*Note: Please include a cover letter. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.*
If you would like to submit your résumé and cover letter for consideration, please visit MoMA Jobs (https://www.moma.org/about/get-involved/jobs).
Please be advised that due to the high volume of applicants, we are able to contact only those candidate whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at The Museum of Modern Art.
The Museum of Modern Art is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.