Posted On: March 26, 2019
Media Organization: Albert & Mary Lasker Foundation, Inc.
Founded in 1942, The Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation is a 501(c)(3) private operating foundation whose mission is to improve health by accelerating support for medical research through recognition of research excellence, public education and advocacy. The Lasker Foundation presents the prestigious Lasker Awards, which recognize the world's leaders in basic and clinical medical research, and individuals with outstanding public service.
Reporting to the Chief Strategy Officer, the Science Communication Manager will drive public understanding of the importance of supporting biomedical research and thus promote the mission of the Lasker Foundation. This is an exciting opportunity for a gifted science writer /reporter to engage and communicate with scientific and non-scientific audiences.
1. Conceptualize and develop compelling print, web, and newsletter content to explore and explain the biomedical research enterprise and the work of the Lasker Foundation, especially to inspire support for research.
2. Manage and grow social media accounts and other communication platforms
3. Draft and edit news releases, press materials, letters to the editors, and other written material as required
4. Develop, edit, and maintain communication outlets such as podcasts and videos
5. Maintain and update web site content
6. Cultivate and maintain relationships with reporters and bloggers, the scientific community at large, policy makers and Lasker Foundation’s supporters and partners
· Integrity, credibility, and a strong commitment to the Foundation’s mission
· Excellent written and oral communications skills
· Exceptional attention to editorial details
· Outstanding interpersonal skills
· Flexible and highly organized
· Hands-on self-starter with sound judgment and proven ability to innovate and adapt quickly to changing needs and priorities
· Microsoft Office proficiency; web maintenance experience preferred
· Media training experience preferred
Required Education and Experience
· Degree in the sciences and /or journalism. Two to five years of experience in science journalism preferred (in depth understanding of the biomedical research enterprise will be essential).
· The ability to frame science and science policy stories as they relate to contemporary issues and debates is required, as is the capacity to address Lasker Foundation’s diverse audiences (especially policy makers and the scientific community).
Location and Benefits:
· Position is based at Foundation headquarters in New York City in very close proximity to Grand Central Terminal
· Full-time, 40 hours/week
· 401(k), travel, and health benefits
· Salary commensurate to experience
To apply, please submit the following to Beatrice Renault (firstname.lastname@example.org) in an email with the subject, “Science Communication Manager”:
• Cover letter
• Two (2) writing samples
• Brief comments about the Lasker Foundation’s last three newsletters and social media postings