Posted On: December 2, 2019
Media Organization: New York City Department of Corrections (DOC)
The New York City Department of Correction (DOC) is an integral part of the City’s evolving criminal justice system, participating in reform initiatives and strategies aimed to move the City towards the smallest jail system possible without compromising public safety. The DOC is solely responsible for maintaining a safe and secure environment for staff, visitors, volunteers and people in custody inside our jails. Importantly, safe jails enable DOC to providing people in custody with the tools and opportunities they need to successfully re-enter their communities. The DOC operates facilities and court commands across the five boroughs with over 12,000 diverse professionals and knowledge experts.
The New York City Department of Correction seeks to recruit a dynamic candidate to serve as the Assistant Commissioner for Internal Communications. Under executive direction and with wide latitude for independent decision-making and initiative, the incumbent will report to the Deputy Commissioner of Public Information and will be responsible for ensuring the DOC internal communication strategy is consistent and reflects the organization’s strategic vision. The successful candidate will develop and deploy effective communication strategies and tactics to inform and engage departmental employees; improve audience focused communication, tailoring messaging to drive impact; serve as an internal resource across departments and functions to advise and align communication planning; measure effectiveness and engagement through surveys, focus groups and metrics to evolve the internal communication strategy; support the creation of compelling communication assets that connect employees to departmental objectives, initiatives and goals; identify and leverage effective communication channels across the organization; cultivate employee engagement through building community with impactful messaging; inform and engage employees through activating an internal network to source news for use across channels, town halls, newsletters, intranet, lead local intranet content planning and delivery; partner across teams on intranet enhancement planning and execution to strengthen the employee community and increase connectivity; evaluate and plan modifications and improvements for digital communications; audit communication channels to increase content quality and navigation; research competitive best practices and revolutionary approaches to influence the evolution of employee engagement and communication; provide communications advice to the senior leadership team; and perform related duties as assigned.
1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college and 4 years of satisfactory experience of a nature to qualify for the duties and responsibilities of the position, at least 18 months of which must have been in an administrative, managerial, or executive capacity or supervising personnel performing activities related to the duties of the position; or
2. An associate degree or 60 semester credits from an accredited college and six years of satisfactory, full-time progressively responsible experience as described in "1" above, 18 months of which must have been in an administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory capacity. The supervisory work must have been in the supervision of staff performing clerical/administrative work of more than moderate difficulty; or
3. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and eight years of satisfactory, full-time progressively responsible experience as described in "1" above, 18 months of which must have been in an administrative, managerial, executive or supervisory capacity. The supervisory work must have been in the supervision of staff performing clerical/administrative work of more than moderate difficulty.
• Professional experience in internal communications or corporate communications is preferred;
• Exceptional project management skills, interpersonal skills, presentation skills, and writing skills;
• Ability to work effectively and build relationships within all levels in an organization, working with other communication partners in advertising, marketing and public relations;
• Ability to adapt to rapid change, multi-task, and meet restrictive deadlines;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as, strong listening skills and ability to produce effective talking points to be delivered by senior management;
• An uncompromising commitment to quality, and ability to develop communication strategies for all levels of staff;
• Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and ability to lead staff when using all social media platforms during communication with employee audience;
• Experience with current web practices, supporting technologies, new media (including social media and viral messaging, etc.).
To apply, visit