Posted On: May 18, 2020
Media Organization: Simons Foundation
The Simons Foundation is a private foundation established in 1994 in New York City by Jim and Marilyn Simons. With an annual grants and programs budget of $300 million, the foundations mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences.
160 Fifth Avenue
The Editor-in-Chief will be tasked broadly with oversight and further development of all aspects of simonsfoundation.org, including flatironinstitute.org.
The Editor-in-Chief will ensure that the website reflects the Simons Foundation brand and mission through excellent content, graphics and design and that the website functions properly. The website serves a crucial functional role as a central nexus of communication with grantees, grant applicants, scientists generally, and the press and public and as such must present content accurately and in a manner relevant and appropriate to these highly educated and discerning audiences.
It is expected that the successful candidate will be from an online background in the sciences or mathematics, be very familiar with the online science landscape and have the strategic ability to develop the website's offerings in a mission-relevant way. The candidate should also be familiar with web-development processes used to create new site features and have experience building and managing teams.
The successful candidate will be able to work with program leaders to develop written, video and audio content in a way that meets expectations and reflects the highest-quality scientific thinking. Put differently, this position is an excellent opportunity for the right individual to sculpt and grow significant online offerings aimed at scientists and the public.
This position reports to the communications director and does not involve the production of journalistic work. Specifically, this position does not involve content work for Quanta Magazine or for Spectrum, two journalistic sites under the Simons Foundation umbrella.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
• With communications director, create and achieve foundation stakeholder buy-in for all initiatives.
• Successfully maintain balance between 'client focus' when working with foundation leaders and your own recommendations for the site
• Supervising the web producers and staff writer
• Editing all articles/content produced for website; pitching in to help the communications department with editing when asked, for example, editing annual report articles.
• Creating and enforcing operational processes, such as content creation workflow, production workflow, analytics reporting, etc.
• Managing all functional aspects of online operations including analytics reporting, SEO, content management, etc.
• Managing the day-to-day launch and maintenance of web pages hosting program-related information, as well as overseeing the content of the foundation's social media, such as Facebook and YouTube.
• Working closely with in-house web developers to guide and prioritize site improvements and fixes, and coordinating requests from program leaders and overseeing the implementation of those requests.
• Sourcing, procuring and editing the non-programmatic content on the website, including, but not limited to, written news pieces, videos and other types of content we may choose to develop.
• Building and maintaining internal and external strategic relationships, and co-creating website strategy with communications director.
• Lead or assume a key role in major foundation ad hoc media projects as they arise from time to time
• Overseeing vendor relationships related to the site, including writers, copy editors and developers.
• Managing the site's annual budget
• Responsibility for quality of user experience, including but not limited to site design, accessibility, art selection and overall quality of all content.
• Staying abreast of trends and technology in the online space, as well as trends in math/science publishing.
• Advanced educational and/or employment background in math or basic science strongly preferred
• Scientific publishing or nonprofit background strongly preferred but not required. A substantial online background is a must, with knowledge of online media best practices.
• Must have 3-5 years of experience in an editorial and strategic role at a website, with a total of 5-7 years of relevant experience in nonprofit, online and/or math/science.
• Familiarity with web-development processes is a plus.
Related Skills & Other Requirements:
• A functional understanding of the technical aspects of websites, including basic UX/UI design, site testing/maintenance, content management systems, digital asset management, image and multimedia production, and at least some familiarity with HTML/CSS. In-depth work with WordPress is a plus.
• Must be very well organized, able to multitask and able to field simultaneous requests from various quarters, with rigorous attention to clear and timely communication.
• Must be able to meet fixed deadlines, working in concert with other departments.
• Must have ability and authority to work with top foundation leaders, developing program and mission-related initiatives, as well as to broker agreement among stakeholders when necessary. Must be able to work collaboratively with editorial, technical and leadership teams.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills required, demonstrating command of the highest standards of written and spoken English.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
• Please submit a resume and cover letter stating your interest in the position.
The Simons Foundation's Diversity Commitment
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment.The Simons Foundation provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employmentwithout regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability,veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/b2zdqqkn8x7qqvnt